• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Problem...Please Help....Going Nuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I made a short video using snapz Pro screen capture software which saves as a .mov file I think.

I imported it into imovie & added some titles.

ok so far but.....the movie plays fine in imovie but when I export it, either to youtube or into the movies folder it plays only the titles and the audio but NO VIDEO!!

Its exports as an .m4v file (I have no idea what this is) & I can't see any option for changing it.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something as It's now driving me nuts!!

Thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know but it sounds familiar, like it has been mentioned here before. Also when you refer to software, let people know what version(s) you are talking about. If Snapz Pro has some forums, you may try asking there too.

I'm assuming that you used one of the export presets. I would try exporting via the QuickTime option. Yes you have to set everything up, but the bonus is if that works, you can fine tune things. Try saving as a H.264 format. Yea, there is some learning to do that.

Reaction score
Its exports as an .m4v file (I have no idea what this is) & I can't see any option for changing it.

Bruki, .m4v or .MPEG4 is the default iPod video file format.

iMovie may not work well with .m4v and the file may just need demuxing (separating the audio track from the video track)

Basically you'll need to convert your file into something that iMovie can work with ....

I just achieved this myself, using QuickTime ... just launched QT and went to:

File ~> Open File

Navigated to an m4v file .... then when the file is opened in a new window, in the Menubar go to:

Window ~> Show Movie Properties
When the Properties window opens you should see the Video Track and the Sound Track and both will have a tick in the Enabled column box. Select Video Track and click the Extract Button in the upper left hand corner.

As you can see from this image, the m4v file is really just a *container*, holding two files: an H.624 file and an AAC file.

So, clicking on the 'Extract' button will launch a new player window showing only the video track with no sound. Click on the Save As button in the File menu and name the file and choose where you want the file saved. Select "Save as a reference movie" and then click Save.

Next go back to the Properties window and select the Sound Track and click the Extract button. You will see a movie window appear but it will only playback the Soundtrack of your movie so it will be a smaller sized player.

Click on Save As and select "Save as a reference movie" and take note of the destination location ... I just save these to the Desktop.

Next create your iMovie project and import the two files and drag them to the timeline and fingers X'd it should all be apples! If you have a problem importing the Audio part, try just dragging it directly from the Desktop onto the Timeline ... first though, you may need to click the 'Clock' button just to the left and above the Timeline before the file is accepted ...

~iMovie Import Tip~

As you probably know it can take ages to import a movie into iMovie especially if the file is huge, so here's a shortcut to import the movie in a second:

1. First of all you need to create an iMove Project and save it to the Desktop
2. Right-Click the Project icon on the Desktop and choose "Show Package Contents"
3. Double-click on the "Media Folder"
4. Drag your file/s into the Media Folder window.
5. Close the Media Folder, then close the Package Contents window
6. Next, launch the Project and you will see a dialogue window alerting you to files that are in iMovies Trash.
7. Be sure to select "View Trash"
8. Drag the files you just imported, out of the Trash and onto the Project window. ( I found I could only drag the Audio file onto the Timeline )
9. Hit Play​

Be warned that although doing it this way cuts the import time by 99.9%, you are using the original file and not an imported copy.

If you delete the files from the iMovie project or empty iMovies Trash the file is gone!

But in your case Bruki, you would still have the original .m4v file intact as you used the "Save As" option which leaves the original file/s intact.

OP
Bruki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
Thats Fantastic thank you so much for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.