mail asking me for a password

Reaction score
I have had my imac since last year and have been running my .mac account through mail fine all this time and it has suddenly started asking me for a mail password and when i type in the password (i use for absolutely everything, its even the same as the main comp one.) it doesnt reconise it. so this prevents me recieveing my emails. which is rather annoying,.

i have tried looking in my keychain but its not there, and have tried changing the password in preferences also with no luck.

any help/advice would be apprectiated.

i am a fairly new mac user so go easy on the technical words:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Go to www.mac.com in the login page click "Forgot my password".... Go through the steps to Authenticate who you are... I believe it asks your Birtdate, and then a Hint that you previously provided... It will then ask you to Enter a New Password, the Confirm the New Password.. If you want it to be the same as you "think" it has been, just enter that.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi presslee!

When Mail.app asks repeatedly for your email account password this can sometimes happen when the mail server is down or simply too busy. It has happened to me about five days ago. When you visit the .Mac account webpage, Apple will post the service's status there.

For example they have this notice up:

02/22/2007
3% of members experienced difficulties with .Mac Mail for 20 minutes. Normal service has been restored.

If the problem lies elsewhere, you might want to check this out, Mail Keeps Rejecting Password (updated) (not just for .Mac accounts though).

You can check this one out too, Fixing Keychain Password Problems.

But if you absolutely must play with Keychain, don't forget to make a backup.

I personally think it's just because the connection is slow and Mail.app gets impatient. Usually taking the recalcitrant email account offline then taking it back online later fixes things. Please consider this option first before going into Keychain.

If the password asking business is constant, not only an occasional thing, then yes, by all means check into the Keychain thingy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Your 1 year Trial must have ended I take it???

OP
P
Reaction score
1 year? i have only had it since christmas, thought it ended after a month.

also is there anyway i can set up a hotmail account via mail?

cheers for the help

OP
P
Reaction score
okay thanks, i am still unsure where to find my hotmail accounts info or find out if its even a pop account,

arrrgh, this is annoying

Reaction score
okay thanks, i am still unsure where to find my hotmail accounts info or find out if its even a pop account,

arrrgh, this is annoying

Hotmail only offers POP3 to paying customers...
Go with Gmail
or AIM for IMAP access.

Klaus

OP
P
Reaction score
ok i think i have tried everything, also i have valuable emails waiting for me in there? will i ever get too them?
anyone have any brighter ideas?
is it worth me email apple? or is that a waste of time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.