Speck case scratched my MB! Now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz Mac Pro, 2.4GHz MacBook White
So, two weeks ago I got my second Mac (a white MacBook), and with it I bought the clear Speck case. The thing is always going in/out of my messenger so I figured it would be a good investment (which was only about $20, as an employee at Best Buy our discount on these things is great). Wrong.

After about a week, I noticed what looked like dust in the case. Today (after owning the MB and the case for a total of two weeks) I tried to clean it with an LCD cleaner and I realized it was scratched, not dusty. Scratched all over the front...it looks terrible, and I've had it for two weeks.

So, I'm returning the case, calling Speck to complain, but what should I do about the scratches? And, has this happened to many people?

I was thinking about taking the $20 I spent on the case and put it toward Applesauce scratch remover. Anyone ever used this stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
So, two weeks ago I got my second Mac (a white MacBook), and with it I bought the clear Speck case. The thing is always going in/out of my messenger so I figured it would be a good investment (which was only about $20, as an employee at Best Buy our discount on these things is great). Wrong.

After about a week, I noticed what looked like dust in the case. Today (after owning the MB and the case for a total of two weeks) I tried to clean it with an LCD cleaner and I realized it was scratched, not dusty. Scratched all over the front...it looks terrible, and I've had it for two weeks.

So, I'm returning the case, calling Speck to complain, but what should I do about the scratches? And, has this happened to many people?

I was thinking about taking the $20 I spent on the case and put it toward Applesauce scratch remover. Anyone ever used this stuff?

Hey man..I've had the same issue with my Spec case, escept I had a red one on my MacBook..When I went to take it off, just as you did, I noticed that there were tons of little scratches on my MacBook. I was ******, so I threw my case away!!

I'm not sure what to do about the scratches though, I just kind of ignore them and try to forget they are there.

But to everyone else, DON"T BUY THE SPEC CASE!!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sorry not gloating or anything, but I'm glad I didn't buy that product. I'm very happy with my invisible shield for my MB and iTouch. Amazing product and no scratches or dust.

Just need to be patient with the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I used a Spec Case on my Black MB for about 3 months before buying an Invisible Shield.

Atleast once a week I would completely remove the case and clean the inside as well as wipe down my MB. Doing this prevented my MB from getting any scratches etc.

Reaction score
Sorry not gloating or anything, but I'm glad I didn't buy that product. I'm very happy with my invisible shield for my MB and iTouch. Amazing product and no scratches or dust.

Just need to be patient with the application.

Would you happen to have a link?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would you happen to have a link?
Here
There was a promotion when I bought mine, I think I got like 16 bucks off and some free stuff. This was like last week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
idk bout you guys but I have a red MBP spec case and non of that is going down...Course any case that isn't stuck on (like a film) has the potential of doing this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.