OS 9 help please [new user]

Reaction score
Okay I apologise for the stupid question already! I got an iMac G3/400 today from my dad's girlfriend and it has no CD for installation or anything. So anyway, I want to upgrade it to OS X because i prefer the newer GUI (we have them at school) but i don't know what to do. I included what it says in the about box, (i couldn't figure out what the extension is for in windows >_<!)

Version: Mac OS Z2 - 9.0.4 Mac OS ROM 5.5.1
Built-in Memory: 64MB
Virtual Memory: 65 MB used on *+
Largest Unused Block: 38.5 MB

How can I go about updating? and what do I need to do so I upgrade safely?

Thank you so much for helping in advance,

BigSanFrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, you'll need a copy of OS X first. I'd recommend upgrading the RAM and you should be able to run OS X 10.3 on there quite nicely...

Reaction score
ditto Aptmunich, more ram is essential. The problem is, what is wrong with the CD? If it is busted, you are going to need a CD reader for Panther or a DVD reader for Tiger. But that isn't even going to do it if you have the earliest iMacs because they wouldn't boot off of USB and they don't have Firewire. Next issue is getting to System 9.2.2 which will absolutely require a firmware update or you will fry the video circuit when you install OS X.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117
Free computers are great, they get you to learn a lot about them!

OP
B
Reaction score
okay, I don't have the CD for OS 9 so how do i upgrade my system to 9.2.2? sorry about the stupid questions :p

Reaction score
Did you get the CD issue resolved?
You need to decide about 10.3 or 10.4 there are lots of opinions as far as what is better to run on a G3 iMac. Which ever, you need to buy the black install disks, do not buy the gray disks, the gray disks are OEM specific for the machine they were sold with. They will not work on your iMac.
Just check on the firmware update...!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.