How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Okay, I have been jumping from forum to forum asking this question, so I thought I'd better come to the smarties. You guys.

This problem is so hard to try and explain, but I will anyway. I also took a little video to show you exactly what is going on.

Basically, I'm getting little popups on my screen every time I touch command, option, control, fn, or shift. It is making it almost impossible to type or to do anything on my computer.

Here's the video showing what's going on.
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
I don't have access to my Mac right now, and I forgot the shortcut is to accidentally turn on that feature, but it looks like your universal access settings causing this.
Go to system preferences, universal access, and have a looksy at your settings there under keyboard.
I think it's just a matter of turning sticky keys off.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
6String is correct. Open System Preferences. Click on Universal Access then click on the Keyboard Tab. Make sure Sticky Keys are set to OFF. If for some reason you want Sticky Keys but still don't want those symbols on the screen, uncheck "Display Pressed Keys on Screen".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.