Boot Camp vs VMware ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
In the course of reading about my mac, I've noticed that running windows via boot camp tends to heat up the computer. Is that also true when running a virtual machine like VMware or Parallels?

In addition, which gives better control with the trackpad? I've read that it's not as functional in windows, as it is when it's being used with OS X. Please clarify.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes. In my experience, Windows tends to be more processor intensive than OS X, which generates heat. The same thing will happen running it in a VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
I run a Win7 VM in Parallels all day for work. I bought a cheap laptop cooler that keeps the temps around 180F when working Windows hard. I have zero issues with the trackpad or my Magic mouse.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa107,

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to run windows XP Pro, in order to run Outlook or just try and hold out until the end of the year. I've read that there is a possibility that the version of Outlook included in the new MS Office for Mac may accept the .pst file from the Windows version of Outlook.

If that ends up being the case then I will take advantage of that feature and load the Outlook component on my MBP. I've found in a very short period of time that I do like iWork a lot, and therefore I have no interest in running the rest of MS Office.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers...

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run a Win7 VM in Parallels all day for work. I bought a cheap laptop cooler that keeps the temps around 180F when working Windows hard. I have zero issues with the trackpad or my Magic mouse.
Thanks for the feedback on the mouse and trackpad.

This brings a question to mind. I like the "look and feel" of Parallels better than VMware, but have heard that it's not as stable.

How do you like Parallels? Have you found it stable and reliable?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
They both work well, but the VMWare people are far more professional than trying to connect with the Parallels staff.

I have both, including a Parallels 5 which which says that it is registered but pops up a box during every session saying that it is unregistered and cannot be updated. So far, every support contact about the problem has gotten me an offer to update to Parallels 5 at a discount (???) but no fix.

The only problem that I have had with VMWare got me a fix reply by the next morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
In the course of reading about my mac, I've noticed that running windows via boot camp tends to heat up the computer. Is that also true when running a virtual machine like VMware or Parallels?
I believe part of the heat issue with Boot Camp is due to Windows only recognizing the dedicated 9600 graphics card and not the integrated graphics card. My Mac also runs hotter when using the 9600 card but not much more so I don't know if that explanation alone is the case.

When running Windows under Fusion I don't notice much of a heat up but then again I don't really use any intensive software in Windows. I only use Windows in Boot Camp when I really need to and that's pretty rare. I prefer to use it under Fusion, but I prefer to not use Windows at all. ;D

Both Parallels and Fusion seem to be both good so it comes down to how you like using them. I believe both of them have trial versions.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but I prefer to not use Windows at all. ;D
This is my feeling as well, if not for the huge number of contacts, calendar, and notes I have in Outlook.

I sure wish there was an Apple workaround... :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just hang in there for Office 2011 due to be released later this year (if you can believe MS time frames). It will definitely include Outlook, VBA, and will import all your PST files from Windows Outlook. BTW, that's the latest skinny scoop from MacWorld.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Thanks for the feedback on the mouse and trackpad.

This brings a question to mind. I like the "look and feel" of Parallels better than VMware, but have heard that it's not as stable.

How do you like Parallels? Have you found it stable and reliable?

Thanks!

I've found Parallels extremely stable, no issues what-so-ever.

I manage a 400 node VMware vSphere environment for a living, so I started out biased towards VMware products. I received my copy of Parallels from MacMall for free after rebate with the purchase of my MBP. I figured I would try it out, and was very satisfied.

I spent about 1 week doing a side by side comparison with both products. I found that Parallels "felt" faster but made the machine run about 10 degrees warmer.

In the end, I chose Parallels for my daily use and uninstalled Fusion. YMMV

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've found Parallels extremely stable, no issues what-so-ever.

I manage a 400 node VMware vSphere environment for a living, so I started out biased towards VMware products. I received my copy of Parallels from MacMall for free after rebate with the purchase of my MBP. I figured I would try it out, and was very satisfied.

I spent about 1 week doing a side by side comparison with both products. I found that Parallels "felt" faster but made the machine run about 10 degrees warmer.

In the end, I chose Parallels for my daily use and uninstalled Fusion. YMMV
Excellent, thanks for the great feedback!

It's the Mac "look and feel" that is appealing to me if I must run windows. Are you running version 5.0?

How did you choose MacMall ?

I'm seriously considering a new 17" MBP, and wondering if I should just buy now or wait for the i5 / i7 models. Any idea when the refresh of the MacBook Pro line might occur?

Cheers...

C

chas_m

Indications are that the transition to Core chips in MacBook Pros will probably happen soon. I'd wait on that.

Reaction score
I always get scared when playing WoW on my MB, it does tend to heat up pretty good, I do usually try to keep it on a cooler pad, with a usb plug in for fan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.