Only 1 audio channel from head phone port

Reaction score
My 12" G4 powerbook, recently stopped putting out 2 channels of audio from the headphone port. I only get the left audio channel. When playing from the onboard speakers I get audio from both left and right speakers. Is this a common problem? Is it possible that the solder connection to the logic board is broken?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Possible there is a problem, would check it with another set of headphones to make sure it's not a cable issue which is much more likely

OP
J
Reaction score
It looks like the ethernet jack is not working either. Could these issues be related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Assuming it's not a faulty cable, I'd guess the solder point came loose on the motherboard. They're quite fragile...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
it's could be the mother/logic board. but check to see if your balance in the sound properties isn''t shifted over. my computer sometimes trips out and sets my balance to pan left or right. it seems to do it when i use my headphone jack a lot.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem with my Headphone jack only working on the left channel, my ethernet port is working 100% though. Wonder if this is a common issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.