• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to change 29.97 timeline to 23.98 in fcp?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm in desperate need of some help regarding a project that i'm working on.

All the footage for a music video was shot on a RED Epic in 1920, 2K, 3K & 4K at 24, 48 & 60 fps.

All was cut on FCP 7, with Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy as the compressor in a 23.98 timeline.

In the confusion of many sequences, all of these sequences were copied and pasted into an amalgated final sequence within the project.

HOWEVER, for reason beyone me, the sequence setting in this FINAL SEQUENCE was set to 29.97 with the compressor of XDCAM EX 1080p30 (35mb's / VPR). All the other sequences were set to Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy with the 23.98 timeline.

I had only NOW noticed that this changed. My entire edit has been continued in this final sequence, and is quite elaborate with 15 video tracks.

How can i change the timeline sequence settings back to what they SHOULD be, without screwing up my very complicated and finalized edit??

When i attempted to copy and paste my timeline into a 23.98 timeline, everything was shifted, out of sync with the music, and not the right shots were used.

Am I completetly screwed here?

We only discovered all of this, after sending the project to my colourist.

It was imported into his program fine, (RedCineX-Pro) but about 20 clips were missing. We removed the dissolves, but that didn't help.

After much frustration, we moved to Davinici Resolve, and that was fine...but the issue of the timeline setting differences were then noticed.

In the end, i'm just looking for the following solutions:

How to maintain the integrity of my FCP 7 final edit, and change the timeline settings from 29.97 to 23.98 as well as the compressor from XDCAM EX 108030P to Apple ProRes 422 Proxy.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the ramble, but i'm read to pull all my hair out. Again.

Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.