System Preferences in Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Just wondering if it's possible to see your System Prefs. in Time Machine as you would files and folders? I know you can do a migration with Time Machine to an entirely different Mac and still keep the exact same settings folders etc as on the old (which I think is incredible to do, bust by doing a back up) so your preferences must be in there somewhere. Is there a way to see them and restore them to previous?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just wondering if it's possible to see your System Prefs. in Time Machine as you would files and folders? I know you can do a migration with Time Machine to an entirely different Mac and still keep the exact same settings folders etc as on the old (which I think is incredible to do, bust by doing a back up) so your preferences must be in there somewhere. Is there a way to see them and restore them to previous?

Yes. The preference pane will be either in /Library/PreferencePanes or in yourhomefolder/Library/PreferencePanes.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Oh ok sweet thanks for that help. I suppose there isn't a way to view the history of it and changes of it is there? thanks for the help anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oh ok sweet thanks for that help. I suppose there isn't a way to view the history of it and changes of it is there? thanks for the help anyways.

Well once you've opened the folder that the file lays in, just go "back in time" using Time Machine. Right-click on the pane of interest and hit CMD-I (or right-click, Get Info). Up top, there's a section for "Version" that may or may not be present. If it isn't present, you may be able to use the "Last Modified" date to guess if it's a different version from what you have now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.