External Speakers w iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My mother in law has an older iMac G5. She has hooked up a pair of external speakers to the Audio output jack on the iMac, and rebooted, but when we look at the System Preferences for Sound, on the Output tab, all we see is "Internal Speakers". Is there any magic to making an iMac understand that it has external speakers hooked up, and have it use them? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You just plug them in and they work. Ever iMac G5 I have worked with has. Maybe there is a problem with the output jack on her iMac.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi All, false alert. She had them plugged into the wrong place!! Doh!!! Sorry for the unecessary post. Having never worked with an iMac before, I thought that the setup for external speakers might be more involved, since it has internal ones. Thanks for the quick post.

Reaction score
External Speakers not being seen in Prefs panel iMac

I switched my Bose from an old Mac to my iMac and the sound prefs did not offer another option rather than the internal speakers. As before I plugged the speaker plug into the audio jack.

No documentation, Bose nor Apple resolved this.

It is easy. for iMac, plug the Bose into the HEADPHONES jack. Who knew.

Viola!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.