Safari quitting problems

Reaction score
hi all,
recently i have been having problems quitting safari.
i would as usual open safari using quicksilver
then browsed around
then press apple+q
and it has the rolling beach ball and will never quit unless i force quit.
yes i have restarted many times, reset safari, opened safari from dock and applications folder but the problem still continues.
thanks in advance

Reaction score
What version of OS X are you using?

What version of Safari?

What plug-ins have you installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Why are you launching it via quicksilver? Sorry, I have a real hard time understanding why people think this is a good app for launching things like Safari - I am betting this is the issue.

Safari takes about half a second to lauch from the dock. Do yo uhave the problem when launching Safari just from the dock?

Reaction score
Sometimes I lauch Safari from SpotLight...if I'm too lazy to take my fingers off the keys. It takes just about the same amount of time QS did.

I just press Command + SpaceBar then type the first 3 letters then press the down arrow and then Enter .... I have my Dock set to Hide so using SpotLight can be the quickest way at times.

OP
R
Reaction score
todd i have a macbook so osx.
safari version 2.0.4
zoolook i prefer quicksilver but in my first post i have said that i have tried
many times to launch safari using the dock and applicaitons folder.
my problems with safari are still continuing but happen less and less?

Reaction score
i'm having the exact same problem as you, ren. it just started doing this recently, after running fine for a year. anyone have any ideas?

macbook core duo
safari 2.0.4
plugins: sogudi, flip4mac
i also run quicksilver

OP
R
Reaction score
haha i hate to say it but i reckon it is quicksilver casuing the problems but i loe quicksilver so much. we shall see what anyone else has to say.
thanks for the heads up pulgarcito. not the only one out there :p

Reaction score
Why are you launching it via quicksilver? Sorry, I have a real hard time understanding why people think this is a good app for launching things like Safari - I am betting this is the issue.

Safari takes about half a second to lauch from the dock. Do yo uhave the problem when launching Safari just from the dock?

I hate using the dock and the mouse, prefer kb shortcuts and quicksilver.

I've been having issues with Safari today, it just seemed to hang on sites with flash. I just trashed the preference file and everything seems fine so far.

Reaction score
haha i hate to say it but i reckon it is quicksilver casuing the problems but i loe quicksilver so much. we shall see what anyone else has to say.
thanks for the heads up pulgarcito. not the only one out there :p

Quit Quicksilver and see if it still happens. If QS is the culprit restarting and doing things like rescanning the catalogue can help.

Reaction score
Possible solution: A mac-savvy friend recommended that I delete the safari preferences file from home>library>preferences. the file should be called mac.apple.safari.plist. i did this and it's been fine so far. from what i'm told, the prefs file can get corrupted occasionally and can cause problems. once deleted, a new file is created the next time safari is booted up, and all you will lose are any customizations you may have made - bookmarks stay intact.

Does this sound right? Can anybody back me up on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Yep, that will usually fix it ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.