Kindle calling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 GHz i5 8GB mem 480GB SSD 480GB HD
I'd like to get a small tablet. I'd use it most for e-books, but would also want to make video calls to Macs/Ipads. Cost and e-reader features give Kindle an edge over Ipad mini, but FaceTime gives the mini an edge over Kindle. Is there any way to make video calls from a Kindle to Macs/Ipads running FaceTime? Is Skype to FaceTime possible? I don't want to ask the Mac/Ipad users to load Skype.
Thanks,
bidwin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
FaceTime is only possible between Apple devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Macs). Second, you have to have the FaceTime application in all platforms to make this work, it does not work across multiple applications..

Skype is a good alternative that works with many more platforms including all iDevices. But if you are imposing a restriction to just use what is available without installing anything new and you want to rely on FaceTIme then you'll have to stick with some iDevice..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
FaceTime is OS X/iOS only. On top of that, the two are very different systems under the hood so you can't simply call one from the other.

If you want to go cross platform, you'll need to use a cross platform solution such as Skype. I have no idea if Skype is available in Amazon's store (might want to check that although I imagine it probably is) and as such, you'll want to look at what's available.

C

chas_m

A "real" Kindle for e-books is a supportable idea (but of course doesn't do video conferencing). A Kindle Fire in place of an iPad mini is a much more dubious proposition, since you lose the "real" Kindle's main advantage (superior screen for e-reading) and gain nothing over the iPad mini (and take a look at the reviews of the Kindle Fire -- not really very good, even accounting for the price).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.