Iweb won't open site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook. 2.4 Duo 4gb Ram 250gb HD . Ipod, Ipod shuffle.
I built a site using Iweb.
I worked fine for a month but now all pages have the following code in line 1 and Iweb now says it can't open the site. When I view the site on my HD it opens in Safari fine but the uploaded site gives an error of "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/seastud/public_html/Trevor/Trevor.html on line 1"

Code in line 1
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I just want to open in Iweb to fix or is there another option other than opening in text?

PS: I have no idea where this code came from. I didn't put it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your message is a bit confusing to me but I suspect you are confusing what iWeb edits and what it produces (publishes) for consumption by web browsers.

First, iWeb inserts those lines as they are part of the standards for the page it is publishing (creating) for use in a web browser.

iWeb does NOT edit html files directly. It has it's own file structure. Double click the "/home/seastud/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domains.sites2" file. I'm assuming you are using the latest iWeb, otherwise the file extension may be slightly different. This will allow you to edit your work.

Did you upload Trevor.html to a remote site, and that is not working?

Remember, you edit in iWeb (it stores those edits in a special place), publish to .Mac or a folder. If you publish to a folder, you upload that to your site. You never directly edit the published content, so never right click that content to open in iWeb. That won't work.

OP
Seastud
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook. 2.4 Duo 4gb Ram 250gb HD . Ipod, Ipod shuffle.
Thanks will give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.