Awkward minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the left, anyway...

Rem

Reaction score
I've recently switched and I find the minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the top left side of all the windows to be very awkward. Is there a way to swap it to the right side like Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I don't think so, but just give it time, you'll get used to it...and it's not really a maximize, it's a fit best....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not even sure if a skinning program will change it, but like bmcgonag said, you'll get used to it.

I actually don't use the buttons. I either use keyboard shortcuts (Apple + W or Apple + Q) or just double click the title bar to minimize.

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if a skinning program will change it, but like bmcgonag said, you'll get used to it.

I actually don't use the buttons. I either use keyboard shortcuts (Apple + W or Apple + Q) or just double click the title bar to minimize.

Better yet Apple + M ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I've recently switched and I find the minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the top left side of all the windows to be very awkward. Is there a way to swap it to the right side like Windows?

As bncgonag said, you'll get used to it. It was pretty awkward to me for about a week until it all became second nature for me.

T

todd51

Just wait till you get used to it, then you'll somehow need to use a computer with Windows on it, and it'll be even more awkward. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Remember, it's not Windows, so you have to get use to doing things differently.

srp

Reaction score
Like everyone else said, you'll get used to it. I've had my MacBook for 6 days now and I rather like the way they're positioned. In fact, when I had XP, I used a skin to mimic the OS X interface. Glad those days are over. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That was probably the most difficult thing for me to get used to when I switched, which is saying a lot for OS X ease of use!

Pretty soon, the Windows buttons will feel awkward!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
A lot of Windows users don't know this,
but in Windows, you can double-click the icon on the top left of the window to close the window.

I actually have the habit to always go to the top left of the window to close it in both OS X and Windows.
So the only difference between OS X and Windows in terms of closing windows is:
OS X = click once
Windows = click twice

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It was not much of an issue for me since I had worked with Mac OS since 6.0.5 and up but not as much as I would have liked to. OSX was easy for me to get used to because of that. Now though since I use OSX for most usage, I tend to go there in XP to close a window! :D

Reaction score
Personally I have to say that Mac OS X's placement is a bit odd, at least in Safari. There is quite a high possiblity of closing the window accidentally when you try to hit the back button.

Not an issue for me, I use keyboard shortcuts, but still...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
I think its more logical than in Windows. All menus and buttons start from left, so why window controls should be on right?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm in agreement with CyberAllen. i rarely have to go to the top right for anything. i'm often going to the top left for the menu bar and the buttons for finder, safari, etc. so it seems a more logical choice, and one i found very easy to get used to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.