RSS/Safari

Reaction score
How do I make the RSS feeds available from websites work in Safari?

I want to be able to put the title into the bookmarks bar so then when I click it I get a list of all of the stories in a drop down list.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Cheers
Liam

M

MacHeadCase

Liam, it's pretty easy.

Just click on Safari's Bookmark icon on the far left (see attached screen capture). Go to the menubar ---> Bookmarks ---> Add Bookmark Folder (or simply do Command (or Apple key) + Shift + N) and this will create a new folder, in the bookmarks "page" (in the column on the left), in which you will be able to store all your RSS feeds.

Still in the bookmarks "page", click once on the Bookmarks Bar so you can open that set of bookmarks on the right in Safari's window. Grab your newly created folder in the left column and drop it in the set of Bookmarks Bar on the right. The folder should now appear in your Bookmarks Bar. (You can rename that folder at any time from the Bookmarks Bar "page").

You visit the site you want, click on the RSS button they have to go to that RSS feed page. Once it loads, simply go to the menubar ---> Bookmarks ---> Add Bookmark (or simply do Command (or Apple key) + D). When prompted where you want to add this new bookmark, just select the newly created folder that is nestled in your Bookmarks Bar in the drop down menu.

Edited to add:

Sorry, misread your question. If you want a single RSS feed, not in a folder, you simply go to the site you want, click on the RSS button they have to load that RSS feed page. Once it loads, simply go to the menubar ---> Bookmarks ---> Add Bookmark (or simply do Command (or Apple key) + D). When you're prompted for the location of the bookmark, simply choose Bookmarks Bar from the drop down menu.

Safari_Bookmark_icon.jpg

Reaction score
MacHeadCase - I think what Liam wants is a drop-down list of new entries in each feed, which is what I'm looking for as well. Your method just gives a drop-down list of the feeds subscribed to, and the number of new entries.

Reaction score
Oh, I see. You just select each feed and it loads... Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

To have each individual RSS feed of a certain site in a drop down menu? I don't think this is possible, no.

Unless there would be a Safari add-on that can do that but I never heard of it myself.

If such a plug-in exists, you should be able to find it here: Pimp My Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.