Coda vs Eclipse vs Xcode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Which program for Mac is better for programming? Which program is better at coding a language then another? Is Eclipse only good for java? Can Coda do it all? Is Xcode only good for OSX/IOS coding languages and also C++?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Those are three very different beasts. Coda is tailored to web development, Xcode to OS X programming and Eclipse is a bit of a "do everything" IDE. You'd be better to pick a language and then decide what IDE to use.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are three very different beasts. Coda is tailored to web development, Xcode to OS X programming and Eclipse is a bit of a "do everything" IDE. You'd be better to pick a language and then decide what IDE to use.

Xcode also allows coding C++! So, could I have all three of them installed, Coda for making websites in HTML, Xcode for C Objective and other OSX languages, and Eclipse for java programming?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It sure does do C++ along with C.

If you want all three installed, go for it. No one IDE is the master of all languages so use the best tool for the job.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sure does do C++ along with C.

If you want all three installed, go for it. No one IDE is the master of all languages so use the best tool for the job.

I just deleted Eclipse and now I'm using Coda, Textmate, and Xcode. For Xcode you can program OSX and Windows languages because it can code C++ and C Objective. So do you suggest that I should have an IDE? If so, which would you recommend?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes..they are three different applications that can completely co-exist without any problems..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For Xcode you can program OSX and Windows languages because it can code C++ and C Objective.
This is only true if you don't use libraries that are limited to one platform such as Cocoa.

So do you suggest that I should have an IDE? If so, which would you recommend?
Xcode is an IDE (IDE stands for "integrated development environment") so if you're comfortable using it, stick with it. As for a recommendation, I'll give you the same one I give people deciding what browser to use: try them and decide for yourself. Choice of IDE, like browser, is a personal preference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.