Do you think the new Mac Mini is for me? (long sorry)

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I have used several apple products over the years, from the ipod's (several generations) to the iphone and apple tv but I have never owned a Mac. (oh I do have a timeport on the way though gift from a friend since my router is on the way out).

Mostly because back in the day I used to program on PC and never did to much with music, graphics or video until the last few years.

Its not that I havent wanted to buy a Mac, but I usually just build my PC's so it was simple and cheap to upgrade.

Now here is why I am asking about the Mac Mini (I am assuming the new Mac Mini with the upgraded processor and mini display port thats rumored). I am not doing anything right now that really needs a lot of processing power. I play around with music, photoshop and some video, but I am not doing anything high tech its just me messing around.

The specs of the new Mac Mini will be slightly more powerful (top model) then my current XP desktop which is about a year old. The Harddrive will probably be smaller but with the timeport I am not worried about that.

Now here is the reason I am thinking mini, I really want to get a Mac Book Pro, but first I want to learn the OSX. For the price of a Mac Mini I can get that new 24" Cinema Display and be still be cheaper then a full boat MBP.

I figure I use it for a little bit then somewhere in the summer pick up the MBP move the mini into my home theater setup or somewhere else, but still have a nice setup for the MBP when I am sitting at my main desk and using the full keyboard and mouse.

So does this sound like a good idea or just a waste of money. I am going to buy the display anyway since I do spend a lot of time at my desk and like a bigger screen and full keyboard.

So basically is spending $699 (actually cheaper since I get a corp discount) on a Mac Mini to get me into the mac world worth it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If what you really want is a MacBook Pro, then yes, this would be a waste of money for you. I also considered doing something similar to test the waters before switching, but then I figured, the Macs hold onto their resale value so well that if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it and only lose a couple hundred dollars at most. Alternatively, I figured I could always just put XP on it and use it as a very nice looking Windows notebook.

The Mini is a decent enough machine, but since you're looking at a notebook, my guess is you really need something portable. So, just go with the MacBook Pro and be done with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
If what you really want is a MacBook Pro, then yes, this would be a waste of money for you. I also considered doing something similar to test the waters before switching, but then I figured, the Macs hold onto their resale value so well that if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it and only lose a couple hundred dollars at most. Alternatively, I figured I could always just put XP on it and use it as a very nice looking Windows notebook.

The Mini is a decent enough machine, but since you're looking at a notebook, my guess is you really need something portable. So, just go with the MacBook Pro and be done with it.

I agree with you but I think that even though I am testing the waters with the Mini, I will absolutely use it after I get the macbook, most likely as part of my home theater setup, probably even more so and link it into my entire house in other capacities.

I definitely want the portability but even then I sit in my office a lot in my nice big chair and desk lol so I also need a desktop.

I guess I will have to see what the real specs are on the new Mini before I make any decisions, just that little cube looks so cool lol.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sort of the same opinion as cwa. We were both Windows guys that got our first Mac at about the same time a couple of years ago. Don't really think the Mini is worth it just for testing the waters.

As long as you start out realizing this is a new OS where you'll need to learn how to use it and not trying to bring all of your Windows habits over, you'll be convinced as many of us other old timers that OS X is a pretty slick OS.

If you're definitely going to move it into an HTPC setup, in that case it may be worth while. Have had plans to do this for awhile myself, but don't see the existing Mini having enough power for my money. If the new Mini has at least a 2.3 Ghz in it, probably will be adding it to my set up just to avoid having to connect my MBP to it.

One thing of note: When I bought my MBP, my Win rig was set up with a 32" and a 21" screen in my office. Had 5.1 sound on it, a tuner card with my satellite with HD run to it, a 360 connected to it and with a nice big comfy chair, wireless keyboard in my lap, mouse on the arm, and feet propped up on the desk. (Needless to say, the wife and I were 'always' at opposite sides of the house.)

No more. My recliner in front of the 65" is much more comfortable and that's where I use my computer. The 32" in the office has been sold and I have not sat back there to use a computer in 2008. Almost can't see myself going back to a desk set up. (And my wife and I get to see each other now.)

This may change when I see the new i7 chips make it to the iMacs. There are a couple things where it'd be nice to have a little more processing power and a bigger screen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sort of the same opinion as cwa. We were both Windows guys that got our first Mac at about the same time a couple of years ago. Don't really think the Mini is worth it just for testing the waters.

As long as you start out realizing this is a new OS where you'll need to learn how to use it and not trying to bring all of your Windows habits over, you'll be convinced as many of us other old timers that OS X is a pretty slick OS.

If you're definitely going to move it into an HTPC setup, in that case it may be worth while. Have had plans to do this for awhile myself, but don't see the existing Mini having enough power for my money. If the new Mini has at least a 2.3 Ghz in it, probably will be adding it to my set up just to avoid having to connect my MBP to it.

One thing of note: When I bought my MBP, my Win rig was set up with a 32" and a 21" screen in my office. Had 5.1 sound on it, a tuner card with my satellite with HD run to it, a 360 connected to it and with a nice big comfy chair, wireless keyboard in my lap, mouse on the arm, and feet propped up on the desk. (Needless to say, the wife and I were 'always' at opposite sides of the house.)

No more. My recliner in front of the 65" is much more comfortable and that's where I use my computer. The 32" in the office has been sold and I have not sat back there to use a computer in 2008. Almost can't see myself going back to a desk set up. (And my wife and I get to see each other now.)

This may change when I see the new i7 chips make it to the iMacs. There are a couple things where it'd be nice to have a little more processing power and a bigger screen.

I hear ya. I wouldn't consider the current mini, so my assumptions are based off the new one, if those specs are not up to par then I wont even consider it.

The one thing is I work from home most of the time and I keep myself in my office when I do because I have the attention span of a fly so if I were to go to the Home Theater room I would get nothing done lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.