Are there Sound Cards for Mac Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been searching for a sound card to put into my early 2009 mac pro. After a lot of searches, posts like mine basically turn into a "you should just use the one that's included," versus any kind of suggestion as to available sound cards that actually work...of which I cannot find.

I have concluded that there are no sound cards (or none that are less than $1000 or so) compatible with the mac pro (PCI-express 2.0 expansion slots).

Am I wrong?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
why is it you want another soundcard?

OP
J
Reaction score
Lets try an not get off topic, this thread is about trying to find and list if any such sound cards exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets try an not get off topic, this thread is about trying to find and list if any such sound cards exist.

this isnt off topic, this is trying to identify your needs so that we can recommend you a good one. You haven't even given any details as to what this sound card should need (7.1, etc). I would assume you are looking for something that the stock soundcard doesn't provide? All you have stated is that it needs to be PCI-e 2.0.

OP
J
Reaction score
this isnt off topic, this is trying to identify your needs so that we can recommend you a good one. You haven't even given any details as to what this sound card should need (7.1, etc). I would assume you are looking for something that the stock soundcard doesn't provide? All you have stated is that it needs to be PCI-e 2.0.

With all due respect, this is off topic. How can you "recommend you a good one" if there are none? I am not asking for advice on how to process my audio tasks. Instead I am asking for the identity of operational sound cards. If you actually know of any working sound cards please list them.

The reason I am being somewhat short with you is that I have read about 50 other threads on other boards on my original topic (what cards will work?) and people always come in and suggest that external solutions (usb/firewire etc.) can work and the internal Mac Pro card is ok too. True but this always derails the thread from the orginal topic which is "what internal cards are compatible?" and there is never even a single suggestion as to a working sound card. I want to avoid this discussion here and have people list compatible internal sound cards if they know of any.

I do know of the RME card, so thank you for the link. This is the about $1000 card I mentioned in my first post and the only one I was able to confirm that can work with the newer mac pros. Link- RME Card about $1000

So if anyone knows of any internal sound card of any type that will work, in addition to the RME Card, please let us know. There may be an Apogee card but this would also be about $1000 or even much higher, and this is beyond my price criteria. So other than these $1000 pro cards I still say tha there are no compatible cards. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@john2in3

How about slowing down or maybe take a coffee break? You need to tone down the attitude as folks here are just trying to help. These forums like most others are not staffed by paid support personnel.

From our Guidelines:

Play nice.

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

Thanks for your cooperation.

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry!

Sorry, its just that I've read hundreds of posts from here and elsewhere on the identical topic and there is never an answer. Instead "helpful" people steer the poster towards USB/firewire solutions or something else.

I thought if I carefully framed the post wording and the post title in precise terms that could not be misunderstood and left no room for expansion it would not happen here. But it did.

So-- apologies, its just that I've seen this same approach so many times before it made me extra sensitive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In the words of Foghorn Leghorn

'You got an attitude problem boy!"

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At no point did I steer towards USB/FW solutions. at no point was I going to. i also never offered any advice on how to "process your audio tasks", as you didn't state what you were even going to be using this soundcard for!

I do know of a few soundcards for the Mac Pro. But I do not want to suggest an overkill option, just like i wouldn't tell a Mac newbie to buy an octo-core Mac Pro w/32GB RAM, if all they were going to do was surf the net. Hence my original question.

All the soundcards i know of are $1000+ so unfortunately it is of little use to you anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think it's safe to conclude that the answer to your question is, "No."

There are no non-pro-level PCIe audio interfaces for the Mac Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.