anyway to hotwire the mbp a1260?

Reaction score
so my keyboard is dead after a very light water spill, and i wanna see if the logic board still has life on my mbp a1260. the computer was immediately powered down and put into a home made drying device. I plug it in, the light on the charger says it is charging the battery yet the power button doesn't work. once and a while the computer will start to kick on but immediately shut down (hear the cd rom and hard drive kick on) is there anyway to hotwire this thing like ive seen on the you tube videos for the later 2008 unibody models?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If everything was fine before the "light water spill"...and now there are issues after the "light water spill". Then the "light water spill" is definitely the source of the problems. Which means something suffered damage due to the "light water spill".

The only way to "jump start" this computer is to replace the damaged component. Could be the keyboard, couple be the logic board, etc.

Also...please read our sticky thread on liquid spills:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

The success rate of getting a computer that has had liquid spilled on it working again is not that great.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
yea, i figured it was a bust, it was literally at most a cap full of water into the right speaker/power button, so i figured it was that once it wouldnt turn on. i just wasnt sure if there was a way to turn it on without the power button. ill check out that thread, ty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
yea, i figured it was a bust, it was literally at most a cap full of water into the right speaker/power button, so i figured it was that once it wouldnt turn on. i just wasnt sure if there was a way to turn it on without the power button. ill check out that thread, ty.

You didn't mention that the spill was right over the power button in your first post. The problem really isn't the power button and wires (I sure these can get wet & still operate correctly after drying. The problem is the electronic board (the logic board) where the power buttons wire plugs into. This is where the damage probably lies.

Assuming that everything is dry now (and there is no residual water still in the computer). Just for the heck of it...try an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
sorry i should have mentioned that. tried the SMC already a little while ago, but thank you. what you said makes sense about the board being the problem now that i think about it. soon as i find my t6 screwdriver im gonna follow the steps in the repair guide you gave me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.