macbook pro screen suddenly goes white

Reaction score
hi, I have a 13 inch macbook pro, i bought it not long ago like a month ago maybe?

and the screen suddenly goes white once in a while i have no idea why!

i have to shut down the computer by pressing the on/off button and then turn it on again and then it works again, but it's just so annoying, when I'm working on something I'm afraid it might go white again and I lose all my data.

is there anybody who's experienced the same problem and fixed it??

thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Since your machine is so new and still under warranty, I would let Apple sort it out. Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and take it on in. No point in trying to trouble shoot or repair it yourself while it's still in warranty. If you bought it second hand and it's not under warranty, please post back.

Reaction score
i got a new macbook pro literally a week ago and the same thing just happened to me. was in the middle of checking my email (only one program running), and BOOM. white screen. took about 5 minutes for the computer to restart....

Reaction score
Macbook Pro Crash to White Screen

I, too, am new to Apple as of oct 27, 2010. Right away I started having crashes which resulted in going to a white screen. I was not doing anything significant, on the internet surfing, reading news, writing an email document. Suddenly goes to a white screen.

I have had the notebook to the Genius Bar 2 times, and spoken with Telephone Support, too. I am supposed to record the times it happens in the next 2 weeks. Very different than what I expected, coming from a PC to Mac which I thought never crashed.

Does 2 weeks seem like a reasonable time? Seems long to me. Does it hurt my OS when I have to shut it down manually with the on/off button?

Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I've gotten it like 3 times from September to Now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To all the posters above:

If your machine is new and you're getting an unexpected white screen crash, it's best to let Apple deal with it. If you've already been to your local Apple store for support, you need to continue following up by going back. If the problem persists, ask to speak with the store manager and politely explain the difficulties you're having. Apple support is the best there is, just give them a chance to work with you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.