Adobe Flash 10.1 - GPU Accelerated Videos?!

Reaction score
I read an interesting article by Anandtech where they tested a pre-release version of Flash 10.1, which will supposedly use the GPU to decode video's from Youtube, Hulu etc. taking off less stress for the CPU. But has anyone actually tried using the new flash plug-in? The article pretty much tested it for windows based PC and netbooks. I'm curious to know how the performance gains for OS X will turn out to be. But I guess ones things for sure, we can expect a lot less heat coming from the Macbook when watching Youtube videos at high resolutions! :D

btw, if anyone is interested in reading the article, it can be found here:
AnandTech: AnandTech Tests GPU Accelerated Flash 10.1 Prerelease

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Saw that yesterday, but I am going to wait until Apple releases this thru one of the Sofwtare Updates :)

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't have a supported GPU but I have noticed a marked improvement in terms of CPU usage. To be fair though, the CPU usage of the OS X build of Flash had nowhere to go but down. I'm hoping that this gets even better as Flash 10.1 progresses.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that the Flash build on the Mac platform wasn't as fine tuned as it was with Windows, but I'm hopeful that the new flash build will decrease a lot of the heating problems that people have mentioned out there! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I tried it and rolled it back - performance took a hit. It's beta after all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Knowing Adobe, this will just rob Peter to pay Paul. So instead of your CPU being flogged by Flash Player, it will be your GPU instead. Great. So, we're still sucking up battery life on laptops and heating them up just as much, but hey, we're not using the CPU!

I remember all of the hullabaloo over Acrobat Reader when they upgraded to version 6. It took four times as long to load and people were livid about it. So, did they go back and refine the code and take the bloat out of it? HECK NO! Instead, they installed a boot-time applet that would preload part of that bloat with the OS. Sure, it improved load times, but the net effect was that it used the same old bloated code and now you get the added benefit of having system resources hogged all the time, rather than just when you want to run the program. I still don't understand why the public wasn't outraged by this - especially when competing programs like Foxit Reader could do the same thing, but take a small fraction of the footprint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Knowing Adobe, this will just rob Peter to pay Paul. So instead of your CPU being flogged by Flash Player, it will be your GPU instead. Great. So, we're still sucking up battery life on laptops and heating them up just as much, but hey, we're not using the CPU!

Would make sense in my situation - the GPU in a Mac Mini is nothing to write home about, hence poorer performance. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.