File Associations - Change All Not Working!?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have an odd problem. I am trying to change the association for .java files.

Currently they show up with an Excel logo and indeed open up with Microsoft Excel. I would like to change them to open in a program called JEdit.

I right click (ctrl-click) on the icon and go to "Get Info". I use the "Open with:" drop down and browse to my JEdit application. All seems fine to this point. I click on "Change All..." and a confirmation window pops up to say "Cancel" or "Continue". When i hit continue the open with immediately reverts back to Excel.

Any ideas how to get the change to stick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Check out this App (free) for changing default "open with" that creates an App in the Sys. Prefs.: RCDefaultApp

OP
S
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to work. I downloaded the app and installed it. I went through all of the tabs and even added java to the extensions tab. It says JEdit but when i am in finder it always wants to use Excel.

Is it a finder issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.