Power PC software on an Intel based Mac?

Reaction score
I got a used copy of a game, but when I try to run it on my Mini (mid 2010 model), I get an error saying that Power PC software is not supported. Is there an easy way to run the older software on newer Macs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX do you have on that mini? Lion has done away with Rosetta and will no longer run Power PC applications. If you have Snow Leopard you can install Rosetta support and most likely run those games.

OP
S
Reaction score
It came with Snow Leopard, but I already upgraded to Lion.

Is Rosetta an emulation software? I've seen it referenced, but I always thought it was the foreign language software. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a simple 'translator' that enables Intel machines to read PowerPC code but with Lion that has been done away with. Maybe an approach to the software developer will see an Intel version released. With my favorite game, "Solitaire to Dawn', the writers are currently working on an Intel version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

C

chas_m

It came with Snow Leopard, but I already upgraded to Lion.

Is Rosetta an emulation software? I've seen it referenced, but I always thought it was the foreign language software. :)

Yes, Rosetta was an emulation technology that worked very well in Snow Leopard.

You're thinking of Rosetta Stone, a popular language-learning tool. Easy to get these mixed up, as they both "translate" in a sense. :)

If you want to run this PowerPC app on your machine, you'll either need to downgrade back to Snow Leopard or contact the developer to see about the status of a Lion-compatible update.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is a simple 'translator' that enables Intel machines to read PowerPC code but with Lion that has been done away with. Maybe an approach to the software developer will see an Intel version released. With my favorite game, "Solitaire to Dawn', the writers are currently working on an Intel version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

That's good to hear Harry. I lost many hours to that program. I have used one or two others since then but none I like as much

C

chas_m

Wow, talk about a developer who missed the memo. He's only started working on an Intel version of his flagship product this past April -- a mere five years after everyone else was told in no uncertain terms that it was Intel or die!

Worse yet, it's just a (very nice but basic) Solitaire game! This shouldn't take this long to convert even WITH the late start.

Of course, his website is the height of fashion -- of 1999 -- so maybe I'm expecting too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.