erratic mouse behaviour...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Boy, was I frustrated today......

turned on my mac, and as soon as the login screen appeared my mouse pointer behaved very erratically. No matter what I did, it always jumped to and fro, and put itself mostly in the right lower portion of the screen. If I moved it to the centre, it jumped back.

Tabbed to my login, and entered my password. On the desktop, same behaviour. So I logged in to my trustworthy, always working, never-have-problems Windows box ( ;P ) to google. Found out that there are quite some users having or having had the same problem. Often related to other connected hardware, like Firewire drives.

I connected/disconnected all peripherals, and the problem dis-appeared. Then, one by one, I reconnected. Found out that the USB port to the USB hub gave the problem. So connected/disconnected each of the 7 or so usb devices, and I finally found out it was the Wacom tablet that was causing it.

Was about to scrap it, until I noticed my wife had put the stylus, in it's holder, on top of the tablet.. causing the tablet to constantly negotiate mouse position with the stylus.. :Mischievous:

All in all, took me about an hour to figure it out...

Thymen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.