Connecting New Mac Mini to Older Macbook Pro 17'

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping someone can help....

I recently got the new mac mini and i was hoping to use my macbook pro's screen as the external display for my Mac mini. Now i already tried connecting the two with an hdmi cable, but all it does when i start up my mac mini is start running the fan on my macbook pro.

I've been told a firewire would work? is this correct? if not iD really like suggestions as how to get this to work. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi I was hoping someone can help....

I recently got the new mac mini and i was hoping to use my macbook pro's screen as the external display for my Mac mini. Now i already tried connecting the two with an hdmi cable, but all it does when i start up my mac mini is start running the fan on my macbook pro.

I've been told a firewire would work? is this correct? if not iD really like suggestions as how to get this to work. Thanks

Let's look at it this way. Does your MacBook Pro have a "video in" port???

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
unfortunetly not, i have a DVI port, Ethernet, firewire 800port, firewire 400port, and 3 usb slots...including audio line in/headphones and power port

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
unfortunetly not, i have a DVI port, Ethernet, firewire 800port, firewire 400port, and 3 usb slots...including audio line in/headphones and power port

As far as I know...no current Apple laptop has a "video in" port. That's why trying to plug your Mac-Mini into your laptop to use it's display won't work.

Just buy a display for your Mac-mini. I've seen used 15"-17" LCD display's on Craig's List for as little as $25 dollars. Heck...I know you can get an old CRT display for FREE on Craig's List of you are patient!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.