Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
So...

I referred a font as "gay". The minute after my post, SchwebPatrol™ came along and gave me an infractions. It's expired, but I really don't like how it hangs around in my profile. I've paid the price of having this ugly thing in my profile, and I'd like it out now, thank you.

One of my *slight* *gripes* about this forums is the very very strict profanity filter. I wouldn't use the F word here, but general things like h*ll you shouldn't go crazy about.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your forum/site. I just think the profanity filter is a bit ridiculous.

Give me an infraction, or negative rep, or ban me for this post, but listen to what I have to say in this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Infractions stay on your profile but the points associated with it eventually fall off.

As for profanity, IMHO, if you can't express yourself in a courteous, non-offensive manner that is appropriate to people of all ages and backgrounds, this is not the place for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The members of this forum come from all walks of life. Men, women, adult and child... and anywhere in between. This forum also consists of different nationalities and religions. While something may not offend you, it may offend others. Sure, there is a plethora of other outlets (TV, movies, music, etc.) where offensive language and behavior is rampant, but there is one difference with those things... we have no control over them. We do have control here and we strive to make this forum as comfortable a place as we can for every member.
For this reason, we recognize and make it so the forums are kept to a strict "G" to "PG" rating. Political correctness is also very much enforced. The forum staff chooses to keep the forum under a strict adherence to the rules in order to maintain the pleasant atmosphere as best we can.

The profanity is a big point not only because the many younger members we have don't need to read it (as previously mentioned, there is plenty of it elsewhere in the world), but also because it just isn't necessary. It is offensive to quite a few people and doesn't add anything positive to a post.

Profanity has no place here and will not be tolerated. This is one of the many reasons why this forum stands above the rest of the Mac/Apple-based forums out there.

:black:

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. :)

It just seems like no other member has ever recieved an infraction.

It sucks having this linger in my profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Considering infractions are private and most people don't feel the need to broadcast that they've received an infraction makes me wonder why you would feel that way?

Trust me, you are not the only one.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see.Okay then.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

It sucks having this linger in my profile.

Don't take it personally, I got an infraction for saying the word that rhymes with "smell" and is the opposite of heaven, which you also mentioned in your own post. I assume there are some people of relgious senstivity who are offended by this, so I'll not use it again. The moral of that story (excuse the put) is that if the word censor stars out one of your worlds, a quick edit is probably in order.

so "gay" = profanity?

I think using the word "gay" as a way of describing something as bad, or annoying or poor, is insulting if not entirely immature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
so "gay" = profanity?
Not necessarily profanity, but definitely inappropriate depending on the context in which it is used. Someone who is homosexual could very well take offense to that if used in a certain context where it is meant as a derogatory descriptive term.
if the word censor stars out one of your worlds, a quick edit is probably in order.
That is good advice. All members have the option to preview their posts prior to submitting them. If you notice something is censored out, then simply go back and edit it to a more appropriate word or phrase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

There are on average over 3-4 infractions a day given

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thanks to the mods for keeping this a clean, safe, and unoffensive place to get information, help and advice. I for one greatly appreciate it!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so "gay" = profanity?

the use of "gay" to mean stupid or wrong or lame or the like makes me cringe more than pretty much any other profanity, even the infamous "c" word.

i've got a number of gay and transgender friends, occasionally attend the gay pride parade in minneapolis, and supported glbt groups and pflag.

it riles me every time someone uses a word that sums up the most intimate and integral parts of my friends' lives to mean something stupid or wrong.

M

MacHeadCase

Eric, you said right out loud what I have been feeling with all that this is so gay talk. Rep to you.

icon14.gif

Reaction score
Eric, you said right out loud what I have been feeling with all that this is so gay talk. Rep to you.

icon14.gif
What's going on? I stopped in to read this thread and should receive rep from each poster in the thread. Thank you. That is all.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know that only I and SchwebPatrol™ and friends could see.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you outed yourself...

funny :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
So, how do you know if you've had an infraction? Does it appear in the same area in your profile as the rep points?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, how do you know if you've had an infraction? Does it appear in the same area in your profile as the rep points?

Yes it does. You'd also receive a PM letting you know what the infraction was for and other pertinent information.

Reaction score
I found it extremely odd that in one posting I made the word d*mn was replaced with four asterisks. I just couldn't work out why this was.

Moreover, I frequently see entries such as "my computer's crapping out" or in one post I read today the word "frigging" was used (might have been "friggin" but it's the same thing). There may be a transAtlantic issue here in that these words might not carry the same weight in the US as they do here in the UK, but if d*mn can be censored why not these? I'm not saying I find them offensive, but there's just no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.