Simple website building software?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations of simple (preferably free, or very cheap) software for making simple webpages. I'm a TA and all I'm trying to do is make a webpage for a course, with links to a bunch of pdfs and stuff like that. I've successfully done it, but my method is very tedious-- I am writing the html directly into textedit, and I'm having trouble with little things like whenever I close a .txt file and open it again it opens as a webpage display instead of showing me the source code, even though I specifically chose to make the file plain text when I created it. So I have to keep recovering the source code from the internet. It works, but its very annoying.

What I'm looking for is some program that will allow me to organize a bunch of files in a folder structure, and help me easily make links to each one on the page, as well as doing some basic formatting of the webpage. (I'm running Leopard).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
iWeb seems like the most obvious suggestion. It's part of iLife and bundled with your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
If you want to focus more on coding the webpage rather than designing it, give TextWrangler a spin. It's a free app that is basically like text edit, but specifically for writing code for a variety of languages. Just choose html in the preferences and it will colour the code so that it becomes more readable. It is a lot easier to organize your webpages and your code in progress.

Bare Bones Software | Download TextWrangler

Hope this helps

C

chas_m

iWeb -- already on your Mac. Basic but very elegant and couldn't be easier. Have a look at the tutorials.

Rapidweaver -- $40, very quick and again nice-looking web pages, more advanced that iWeb but very easy to use. Lots of add-ons for extra $$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've always liked Netscape 6 (not 7 or 8). The built in Web page building capabilites are simple, easy and basic. You can still find it on the web.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.