Download's Folder will not let me delete (OSX Lion)

Reaction score
Okay I'm having this weird issue and it just started about a month ago after upgrading to OSX Lion. Every time I download a file, photo or what not into the 'downloads' folder it will not allow me to drag it to the trash or delete it. Every time I manually have to delete it (click on it and select delete) it asks for my password to delete it.

Now my other macbook pro doesn't have this issue. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?

I have looked at the Downloads folder (Get Info) and it is NOT locked. And I have also ran disk utility to repair permissions. And the issue still is there.

Much thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Did you check if you have "Read and Write" premissions in the Info of the folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Also make sure your account hasn't lost its administrative privileges. That was a bug in Snow Leopard a while back, and it certainly could have reared its ugly head again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Also make sure your account hasn't lost its administrative privileges. That was a bug in Snow Leopard a while back, and it certainly could have reared its ugly head again.

Did you check if you have "Read and Write" premissions in the Info of the folder?

Okay I just checked and had to use a program called "Bat Chmod" which forced my permissions back over to me. But now....we are experiencing another problem.

I drag something to the trash and it goes to the trash. But when I click 'Empty Trash' it makes the noise that the trash is emptying but it doesn't do anything. Trash is still there. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Is it a single file that's stuck, or is everything stuck? Sounds to me like your system would benefit from a full permissions repair.

OP
W
Reaction score
Is it a single file that's stuck, or is everything stuck? Sounds to me like your system would benefit from a full permissions repair.

How would I do that? If it's the disk utility permission repair I've already ran it. No luck.

Every file.

I'll describe it like this as best I can: Any file I create or download and move to the trash it will go into the trash. Now when I launch the trash can and hit empty trash. It plays the "trash emptying sound" and the files just sit there. Not deleted or anything.

Pretty much sums it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... Next thing I'd try is booting to the recovery partition (reboot, hold Command-r), and running Repair Disk and Permissions Repair from Disk Utility there. I find that running it from the OS, especially if there's already a problem, doesn't do as thorough a job.

Apart from that, there's a good chance that the ownership of the .Trash folder or the permissions for the folder got hosed at some point. The folder itself is invisible, but can be viewed at Finder->Go menu->Go to Folder->Users->yourusername->.Trash

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok... Next thing I'd try is booting to the recovery partition (reboot, hold Command-r), and running Repair Disk and Permissions Repair from Disk Utility there. I find that running it from the OS, especially if there's already a problem, doesn't do as thorough a job.

Apart from that, there's a good chance that the ownership of the .Trash folder or the permissions for the folder got hosed at some point. The folder itself is invisible, but can be viewed at Finder->Go menu->Go to Folder->Users->yourusername->.Trash

Just did the repair disk and permissions repair and no luck at all :( should I do a disk wipe and fresh install lion?

I was able to locate the .Trash folder. But couldn't delete the files within trash and now did the trash can empty button or securely empty trash not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Did you try to restart your Mac and empty the trash again? sometimes when I try to delete something, it won't allow me, but then I restart it and Voilà! I can empty the trash .

OP
W
Reaction score
Did you try to restart your Mac and empty the trash again? sometimes when I try to delete something, it won't allow me, but then I restart it and Voilà! I can empty the trash .

I've done it multiple times and no luck :[

I did run the command: sudo chown yourusername .Trash and no luck at all. Still won't fully delete my trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.