Transmission "port closed" at college

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
I am having a problem with Transmission at school. It says the port is closed, for whatever port i use. I get around a max of 20kb right now with some very-few seeded items. I sometimes get around 100-200kb but never more. Is having the port closed a bad thing? and how would I fix this if it is?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am having a problem with Transmission at school. It says the port is closed, for whatever port i use. I get around a max of 20kb right now with some very-few seeded items. I sometimes get around 100-200kb but never more. Is having the port closed a bad thing? and how would I fix this if it is?

Thanks

Your transfer rates are dependent on how much you're able to share. The more you share, the more bandwidth you'll have to leech.

It's likely that your school uses a firewall, and in order for you to do Bittorrent, you'd have to have the school's network administrator turn on port forwarding for TCP & UDP ports 6881-6889. I believe Transmission also requires that TCP port 51413 be forwarded.

It's unlikely that those ports will be opened, but just in case they happen to be you may want to try to set your Mac's own firewall to allow Transmission to send and receive connections (System Preferences => Security => Firewall tab => + (select Transmission) and allow all incoming connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.