Applecare, is it worth it?

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I guess i'm going to treat myself to a new iPod for my birthday!:D
I'll probably go with a product red nano because it's a good cause, but I dont want this nano to end up like my last. I will probably buy applecare, but to be honest I don't really know what it is, except for the fact that it's VERY much recomended.

So is it just an extended warranty?
What does it cover?
How long?
Does it make a difference if i buy the iPod new or refurb?
Does apple care cover stupid?lol.

I would like to hear from people who have applecare and have used it.

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Extended warranties don't cover anything that a normal warranty doesn't, they just extend the length of time your device has a warranty.

A warranty is something along the lines of "A promise, either written or implied, that the material and workmanship of a product are without defect or will meet a specified level of performance over a specified period of time."

In other words, a promise that your ipod is free of problems. What a lot of people (wrongly) think warranties cover is things that happen to the device that are not the manufacturer's fault - getting it wet, for example. So, we could say a warranty covers anything thats wrong with your iPod that's Apple's fault and not your own.

Two of my ipods have died the day after the warranty expired (I managed to get them to cover it even though I didn't get an extended warranty) so I also strongly suggest you purchase one.

(No, it doesn't cover stupid)

Reaction score
How much is Apple care for an iPod? Check if you can get it covered on your house insurance, my Macbook is covered and also if i was to get mugged i am covered. Also house insurance covers accidental damage and it was no extra cost to our policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Be careful with relying on insurance, a lot of insurance policies won't allow claims for manufactural defects (ie warrantable issues).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
To be honest i would pass on the warranty and invest in something like this:
Quote from the website:What is a Portable Electronics policy?

Designed to cover laptops, desktops, tablets, PDAs, peripherals, and other portable devices against unavoidable disasters, which can easily render a system inoperable. Also covers preinstalled software on your system. Equipment is covered against the perils of Accidental Damage, Theft, Vandalism, Power Surge, and Natural Disasters at any location within the United States, Canada, and while in transit.

Who would benefit from a Portable Electronics policy?

The individual user (not currently enrolled in Grade School), with under $10,000 in total coverage for all equipment. The Portable Electronics policy is available for United States residents, with the exception of Hawaii and Minnesota.

Why would I want a Portable Electronics policy?

Accidents happen. You can't avoid the inevitable. Extended warranties and care plans offered by computer manufacturers MAY SOMETIMES offer limited accidental damage coverage, but NEVER cover against theft. Homeowners and Renters policies RARELY offer protection, but would you really make a claim on your Homeowners policy, paying a $250 to $500 deductible, and risking higher rates or even potential non-renewal, for a computer loss? By owning a Safeware insurance policy, you WILL have true peace of mind. For costs associated with a Safeware policy, the outcome in the event of a loss is definitely worth the initial investment.

The standard deductible for the Portable Electronics policy is $0.00. Other deductibles may be available, please contact Safeware for more information.

http://www.safeware.com/portable_electronics_policy.php
AppleCare does not protect you against a phone that is thrown to the concrete and somehow the screen cracks,or water damagae.I have SafeWare on all my merchandise and has proved to be handy more times than i can remember.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.