Hardware Test Errors

Reaction score
Question: Just out of curiousity I ran the Apple Hardware test on my Intel iMac and it comes back with three different error messages each time I run it: 4MOT/2/40000004:0x3cdba710, 4MOT/2/40000004:0x3cc5BF90, and 4MOT/2/40000004:0x3c239410. I haven't been experiencing any problems with my machine at all...runs perfectly. Called Apple and they suggested I zap the PRAM and unplug. I did this but the error codes remain. Any ideas as to what these might indicate? If it's the logic board, which I suspect, how can my Mac still run perfectly without displaying any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
hmm..im not sure what those error codes mean...but as long as ur machine still works properly, i wouldnt worry too much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you can get hold of TechTool Pro, you can do a much more detailed test.

This error is normally due to a problem with a fan. Have you experienced the iMac getting too hot. Consider taking it to a nearby Apple Store if the problem persist.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the replies...the fans have been whisper quiet, despite the machine being up and running and being put to sleep and rarely shut down. When I do reboot or shut down, restarts are super quick. And I spent the 99 bucks for Tech Tool Pro only to have it turn up nothing. I'm at a loss as to what these codes mean. Especially since no flakiness is occurring. Perhaps if I have free day I'll run it over to the Apple Store...in the meantime I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.