audio hijack

Reaction score
ok i bought a used 2006 macbook pro a while back, works great except for the internal speakers, ear buds, usb external speakers, aux jack plugged into stereo speakers. ive tried everything i can think of to fix the really low volume, everything ive found on the internet for fixes. so i tried the audio hijack software, hey it really boosted the sound, and quality isnt to bad either. just wonder if it can hurt anything using it. also does it affect the ear buds or external speakers in any way. if i were rich id send it back to apple to fix, but not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you are outputting low sound volume over all of those devices, then you likely have a faulty software setting somewhere. Open up iTunes, go to "Window", then "Equalizer". What's it set at?

You may also need to run Audio MIDI Setup and look at some settings there.

OP
H
Reaction score
sound is perfect except for the internal speakers. sound loud and good in ear buds, sounds great into harmon kardon usb speakers, just way to low on internal speakers, even at full volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And how about those settings I pointed you to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty. Well your settings seem kosher. Your problem may well still be software related, but it could be the speakers going bad. If you want to troubleshoot that more, you can try creating a new user and see if the problem persists in that user account.

In the meanwhile, back to your original question... will using Audio Hijack hurt your computer? Probably not. We don't know why your volume is low on your built-in speakers (or maybe it is normal, and you just aren't used to it?) so I can't say it absolutely won't cause a problem, but I'm skeptical that it will.

OP
H
Reaction score
well the audio output jack works and can be plugged into a aux speaker, and the usb also. ive been looking at the logitech clip on top mount speaker, it has great reviews.

OP
H
Reaction score
ok installed audio hijack. makes a huge difference. now im trying to figure out how to have it hijack the system automatically when i startup. so far if i shut my computer down when i restart i have to hijack the system. im sure theres a way to have it automatically hijack on startup without have to hijack every time.

OP
H
Reaction score
well i downloaded VLC player and now it seems that the problem is in the right speaker. so ill need to have the speaker replaced or do it myself. how hard of a job is it to replace the speaker. by the way VLC sound as good, if not better, than audio hijack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i downloaded VLC player and now it seems that the problem is in the right speaker. so ill need to have the speaker replaced or do it myself. how hard of a job is it to replace the speaker. by the way VLC sound as good, if not better, than audio hijack.

Check out the guide on iFixit:
MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit

OP
H
Reaction score
i did. doesnt seem that difficult, just a lot of parts to remove. bought a set of speakers today, have them next week. at least i finally found out what the problem was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.