Tethering not working with IOS 7 usb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm really frustrated right now that I can't tether using usb connection. I found it to be the most reliable and now I"m stuck using over wifi which I'm not a fan of.

I've search and found fixes that talk about using the kext utility, but this didn't seem to fix the issue either.

can anyone help? To add to this, the Iphone isn't detecting in network settings the way it used to, but is detecting in Itunes. I find that really weird.

OP
R
Reaction score
No one can help me?? I'm really stuck! Now I'm also reading that downgrading back to IOS 6.1.4 isn't even possible?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Are you using the iOS' tethering feature, or an app for tethering?

C

chas_m

I've never heard of "USB tethering." I've only ever used tethering to mean taking my iPhone's cellular data and turning it into a Wi-Fi hotspot so that my other devices can connect. Have you tried that?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

ESsentially I find that using my iphone as a modem by connecting it to my Macbook via usb is the fastest and most reliable way to create an internet connection. I can successfully use my iphone as a modem via wireless, wehreas my laptop sees the iphone as a hotspot over wireless but not when it's connected directly over usb.

I'm pretty sure if I fix the issue that my Macbook Pro isn't seeing the Iphone in network setttings the way it used to, would fix my usb issue.

M

MacInWin

Just experimented with it. iPhone USB is showing RED with the phone plugged in (iPhone 4s, IOS7). On the iPhone, I went to settings, cellular and turned ON personal hotspot and the connection turned to GREEN on the MBP. So basically, until and unless the tethering is enabled, USB doesn't see the phone as connected.

OP
R
Reaction score
Just experimented with it. iPhone USB is showing RED with the phone plugged in (iPhone 4s, IOS7). On the iPhone, I went to settings, cellular and turned ON personal hotspot and the connection turned to GREEN on the MBP. So basically, until and unless the tethering is enabled, USB doesn't see the phone as connected.

So this is my issue, I am doing the exact same, except the laptop is still not detecting any IPHONE connected to it ever since the update to IOS 7.

Are you seeing your Iphone in network settings? I have an IPhone modem in my list, but it shows as disconnected even when it's plugged in via usb, and ITunes is seeing it. The Iphone modem is there becuase I used to use it as I was sayign with IOS 6. The MBP keeps all devices that have been used as modems with the settings necessary to connect to the net.

M

MacInWin

Yes, as I said, in Network on System Preferences, there is an entry titled "iPhone USB" and when the iPhone is not connected, or connected but tethering is turned off, it shows "Not Connected." When, on the iPhone, I got to Settings/Personal Hotspot and turn personal hotspot on, in about 3-5 second the network screen on the MBP switches to Connected and the dot turns green. Turn hotspot off on the iphone and it goes back to "Not Connected" and red.

M

MacInWin

The actions here are NOT like iTunes, where the device is detected even when not active. In this case, it has to be active as a Personal Hotspot for the connection to be established. iTunes has nothing to do with it.

M

MacInWin

Just to be perfectly clear, two screenshots:

iPhone connected by USB cable, but Personal Hotspot OFF--from the MBP System Preferences/Networking

2013-09-26%2003.26.20%20pm.png

iPhone connnected by USB, Personal Hotspot ON -- from the MBP System Preferences/Networking

2013-09-26%2003.26.51%20pm.png

Very briefly, between those two, it turned Yellow and showed "No IP Address" as the tether sought an IP.

OP
R
Reaction score
Guys, I'm really sorry if I'm not being clear. My personal hotspot setting has been on since I started this conversation...this is my problem! I'm not getting any connection to the internet like I used to with IOS 6. Before, I would simply plug in my phone to my MBP by usb, ensure I had personal hotspot ON, and away I went, I would ensure my wifi was off so that there was no confusion that I did not want the MBP to connect to ANY wifi, and use the usb tether that I was providing.

It's not doing that anymore... I connect by usb, I ensure hotspot is ON, and nothing. I can't connect. I have to turn on wifi, and tether via wifi which I don't find nearly as reliable as when i'm directly connected over usb.

Again, I apologize for any confusion.

M

MacInWin

Well, there aren't a lot of settings beyond the Location choice once it's connected, so about all I can suggest at this point is to delete the iPhone USB from System Preferences/Network and restart the connection process. I am sure you have tried cycling the Personal Hotspot on and off, so at this point it sounds like something in the network configuration on the MBP is messed up. Delete it and try a new setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.