iPad only starts when opened up

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My iPad dropped from about 30cm and it wouldn't work anymore. I brought it to a repair shop and they said it worked when they looked at it and just charged me €30 for cleaning. They even said I was lucky because normally when opening up the screen breaks and it would cost €180,-. It worked when I received it from them.

After one day it was broken again. The software won't load, I just get the apple logo. Restoring in itunes just gives me errors. So I opened it up and when it was opened it booted without a problem. I closed it again and it wouldn't boot. Opened it up again and it worked.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Maybe a loose contact?

Thank you very much in advance,

Toehh

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Does the iPad boot from scratch each time you open and close the case? Once operational, can you hit the power button to put it to sleep and again to wake it up?

Did the shop open up the iPad to see if anything came loose (unlikely with such a small drop) and what actually entailed "€30 for cleaning"?? What exactly was cleaned??

OP
T
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Does the iPad boot from scratch each time you open and close the case? Once operational, can you hit the power button to put it to sleep and again to wake it up?

Did the shop open up the iPad to see if anything came loose (unlikely with such a small drop) and what actually entailed "€30 for cleaning"?? What exactly was cleaned??

The ipad can be put to sleep, powered down, booted up and open apps. It functions pretty good. If you ask me, I think they didn't even clean anything.

What could be pinched or loose that causes the ipad to be unable to load the software?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh..I totally misread your initial post..you opened up the iPad and it works in that state and fails when you put it back together (I was thinking about opening and closing the cover for some reason)..

Does the iPad have any cover around it and a drop from almost a foot (sorry, can't think in metric..:) ) might dislodge something depending on how it fell.

Can you start putting the iPad together and test if it boots up and works with each new screw you put in and tighten. I'm at an immediate loss as to what could prevent the software from loading. If the storage was connected over a cable, that could be a culprit. But the Flash is on the iPad's logicboard, so that can't be it..

OP
T
Reaction score
Ahh..I totally misread your initial post..you opened up the iPad and it works in that state and fails when you put it back together (I was thinking about opening and closing the cover for some reason)..

Does the iPad have any cover around it and a drop from almost a foot (sorry, can't think in metric..:) ) might dislodge something depending on how it fell.

Can you start putting the iPad together and test if it boots up and works with each new screw you put in and tighten. I'm at an immediate loss as to what could prevent the software from loading. If the storage was connected over a cable, that could be a culprit. But the Flash is on the iPad's logicboard, so that can't be it..

I'll try to assemble again like you said but there actually are just 4 screws to tighten. The screws to mount the LCD. The screen is glued (iPad 2). I'll keep you updated. And if anyone thinks of something, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
Okey I just assembled it and it kept working. But when I was pressing the bezel on the left side, the screen turned grey for a second and it restarted. It keeps working now but when I press the screen it sometimes hangs and restarts.

So something on the left hand side is conflicting when pressed...

Getting closer

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent work thus far..

Based on the iPad 2 Teardown, can you tell us where the "left side" ends up being and we can figure out what parts are in that are and how it might be causing issues.

A short is one quick possibility..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.