A small question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
Hi all,

I have come to my favourite Mac forum to ask some advice, as I trust the opinions of the people on here. So, here goes.

I currently have a G4 PowerMac with a Sonnet 1.4ghz processor in it; it's a massive improvement on the original 450mhz but I'd like something with a bit more oomph.

I also have a Toshiba PC laptop, which is a P4 mobile 1.9ghz with 512mb ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 Go graphics, and XP Media Center on it. I need this for work, as I have to use a lot of software that's only available for Windows.

I plan to purchase a new computer which can combine my needs; the obvious choice here is a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Using Boot Camp, I can hopefully run all the Windows apps I need when at work, and use the laptop as a Mac system for all other things.

I have seen a refurb MacBook Pro on the Apple store for £899; it's a 2.0ghz Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) with superdrive, 15.4in glossy widescreen, 80gb HDD, and 512mb ram. All boxed and with the year's warranty.

This seems very good to me - a MacBook Pro for less than a new MacBook (I know the new ones are core 2 duo, but the graphics card is poor and the screen is quite small). But, here's the question - would it be adequate for my needs?

My PC needs aren't particularly great; just running a few emulators from mobile phone operators and a couple of dev tools for J2ME development. My Mac needs aren't that in-depth either; mainly using Logic Express, Reason and Final Cut.

Does this seem like a) a good deal and b) something that will meet my needs? I know I could probably do with getting at least another gig of memory for it, and possibly a larger HDD (although I can probably just use an external box for that), but I still think that this might be more cost-effective than dropping a grand and a half - which I can't really afford - on a brand new Pro.

All advice gratefully received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
IMO you are looking at the perfect machine for your needs. The refurbs from Apple are superb quality, with warranty, and AppleCare available. That machine will easily handle what you are needing.

If you just need a Kick to do it then... <<KICK>> :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
Thanks Ride, that's really useful :) I'll go for that one!

Thanks for the kick ;) Consider yourself repped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks Math... That's going to be a sweet machine....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.