Shifting my Music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
hi....i just got a new hard drive which i plan to transfer all my music to...is there any way to preserve the connections with the itunes library? or will i have to remove the old stuff from itunes & start over?

incase it can be done please let me know how it has to be done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I'm pretty sure what you want to do is just drag all your files to your new hard drive then open up itunes and go into Prefrences>advanced and then change the "itunes music folder location" to the new location on your HD and you should be good to go.

You might also want to go to file>export library and drag that folder along with everything so it keeps everything organized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As far as I know the easiest way to move your library, keeping all links, ratings, playlists etc intect is this:
1. Go into itunes - preferences - advanced - tick - Keep itunes Music Folder Organised
2. Change itunes folder location to point to your new folder on your external
3. Click OK, go to the Advanced menu and Consolidate library
4. Once done, Drag your old library to the trash and empty it.

Apples 'official' way is here

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
the problem is that the stuff in my library was spanned over multiple hard drives....my collection was too large to put in one location till now...so im not sure how i can do this...any more idea now that you'll know that the stuff is in different locatons...my itunes library only links to files on my external hard drives...i have almost no music on my internal drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So itunes is currently 'happy' keeping track of your music over multiple disks? (internal/external doesn't matter)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Keeping your iTunes collection on an external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on an external disk and ensure new music is always stored on the external drive.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen of the external drive.

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external folder and link the itunes library file to it

The files will now be on the external while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the old Itunes folder off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between a large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.