Have not been kind to my Macbook Pro's display, am taking suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro- 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo Merom, OS 10.5.7
So in cleaning my 15'' Macbook Pro's display today, I seem to have inadvertently discovered that ethanol is a poor choice of cleaning solution. So it appears (http://web.mac.com/jwnelson/iWeb/Site 2/Introduction_files/Image(17).jpg) to me that some of this ethanol may have seeped behind the screen and is causing the backlight to do some crazy things (brighter where the light is being diffracted, darker above. :\

Upon bringing this problem to the Apple Store, I was informed that repairing this isn't covered under my warranty (understandable) and that my AppleCare coverage has been revoked (less so).

So I was wondering if anyone's got experience with this kind of problem. I'm going to wait for a few days and see if anything changes, cause it looks to me like the splotch on the screen's been changing shape and moving, but if it fails to go away on its own, I'm probably going to look into ordering a new lcd and replacing it myself, since I don't have $800 to pay Apple to do it. Advice from anyone who's done that or knows how to go about finding the right replacement display would also be great.

Thanks,
Senor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So in cleaning my 15'' Macbook Pro's display today, I seem to have inadvertently discovered that ethanol is a poor choice of cleaning solution. So it appears (http://web.mac.com/jwnelson/iWeb/Site 2/Introduction_files/Image(17).jpg) to me that some of this ethanol may have seeped behind the screen and is causing the backlight to do some crazy things (brighter where the light is being diffracted, darker above. :\

Upon bringing this problem to the Apple Store, I was informed that repairing this isn't covered under my warranty (understandable) and that my AppleCare coverage has been revoked (less so).

<snip>

After enduring weeks of new users here whining over how they feel so screwed over by Apple about problems of their own causing, I just had to congratulate you for "manning up".

If they outright revoked your coverage for the entire machine (rather than just the display), then at the least they should give you a partial refund of that warranty, full if you have not entered the extended period yet. They really shouldn't have condemned the entire computer though if the base was unaffected.... surely they could have simply attached a note to your file or something.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro- 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo Merom, OS 10.5.7
They really shouldn't have condemned the entire computer though if the base was unaffected.... surely they could have simply attached a note to your file or something.

Well, apparently AppleCare for my whole machine is revoked for now, unless I get the display replaced, in which case I get my coverage back for the parts of the computer that are still Apple-built-and-installed (which will be pretty much just the logic board at that point). They also weren't overly happy about the superficial dings in the case, which apparently can be used as evidence of poor maintenance for warranty-revoking purposes.

-Senor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.