Burning Problems

B

braniffman

Hi,

While trying to back up some photos by burning them onto a CD, I encontered a few problems.

My first attempt was to burn the photos onto a 650MB Sony CD-RW and just as it is almost finished at the 'verifying' stage, the CD is automatically ejected and a box that states "You have inserted a disk that contains no volumes that OSX can read"

So I switch to a 700mb Sony CDR and the burning process does not even get that far. The CD is ejected and a warning states " Sorry, the operation could not be completed because of an unexpected error occurence" Error '3'.

Up until now I have had little time to do any backing up, so I thought that I would spend a free day backing up all the important doucuments, photos, ect. I have had in the past ha no problems backing up so this caught me quite by surprise.

Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Thomas

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Are you using Toast to burn CDs? For some reason, I can never get Toast to work with my Mac. It fails to write to a CD every time I use it. It used to work, but it doesn't anymore... so I don't recommend Toast.

CDs can fail to burn, so maybe you just got unlucky and it failed on you...

OP
B

braniffman

Below are the warnings that I have recieved. The first is what I see after attempting to burn a CRDW and the 2nd is what pops up from a CDR.

Thomas

2cdrw.jpg

CDRwarning.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Since it failed on 2 types of media…
Have you tried cleaning the drive?

OP
B

braniffman

immdb said:
Since it failed on 2 types of media…
Have you tried cleaning the drive?

I was just thinking about that. Any product suggestions?

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The one that I use is made by Philips. There are voice and music instructions, so it starts iTunes and trys to make you feel warm and fuzzy while it's doing the cleaning. There are 2 small brushes that will wipe away any debris on the lense. Works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
samw here, make sure you get a 'dvd laser lens cleaner', not a regular cd lens cleaner to be safe. these have extra brushes positioned for better cleaning of optical drives including superdrives.

OP
B

braniffman

Thanks guys, I trust that these can be bought anywhere, i.e. Best Buy, Radio Shack, ect.......?

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, even at walmart

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hey hey, Wal-Mart rules, the little smilie dude rules!

*cuts back prices*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute Zero said:
Hey hey, Wal-Mart rules, the little smilie dude rules!

*cuts back prices*

I like Rollback prices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah but Wal-mart is the haliburton of the food world...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me like Wal-mart, me like Haliburton…me like fooood!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
All-right then. :) I don't :)

OP
B

braniffman

Well picked up a DVD Laser Cleaner (Memorex) at Compusa, and the results were, well.... mixed. The CDs are still not burning, however I threw caution into the wind and bought some of Comp's generic DVD-Rs and these are buring just fine. I find this just a bit odd, to say the least.

Any thoughts?

Thomas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.