Verizon vs Sprint: Who is the fastest??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I knew AT&T was faster than other 3G, but not that much faster! I just got on Sprint with the 4S and data speed is crawling at about 0.5mbps!

According to Gizmodo's great iPhone 4S speed test Verizon looks to be much faster than Sprint, but I've also read many comments that indicate it is common knowledge that Verizon is generally slower than Sprint.

I have 2 days left to return my Sprint 4S with the Verizon 4S arriving about the same time, but I don't know which I should keep. I've never gone over 2GB in a month with AT&T, so unlimited benefit isn't an issue.

Anyone know the real story between Verizon and Sprint's networks?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I knew AT&T was faster than other 3G, but not that much faster! I just got on Sprint with the 4S and data speed is crawling at about 0.5mbps!

According to Gizmodo's great iPhone 4S speed test Verizon looks to be much faster than Sprint, but I've also read many comments that indicate it is common knowledge that Verizon is generally slower than Sprint.

I have 2 days left to return my Sprint 4S with the Verizon 4S arriving about the same time, but I don't know which I should keep. I've never gone over 2GB in a month with AT&T, so unlimited benefit isn't an issue.

Anyone know the real story between Verizon and Sprint's networks?

I don't claim to know the real story, but I have to repeat an old saw that I believe was in the Gizmodo article, "location location location".

I have no problem believing that Verizon has superior service to ATT and Sprint, just not in my area. If you want decent service where I live you go with ATT. That doesn't neccessarily apply just 20 miles up the road.

Bottomline: it doesn't matter what kind of service others get and measure, the only thing that really matters is who is fastest (aka best) where you live.

Apparently it isn't Sprint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
speed is one thing, and really, it comes down to coverage - look at coverage in your area and where you travel to most.

AT&T in my area sucks - slow as molassas in the off hours, even slower at peak times. And the coverage is terrible. For me, Verizon offered the best coverage and most reliable service in the places I go to most.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well on other phones at my office everyone on Verizon always gets 3G throughout the building, and it's common knowledge that Verizon has the best coverage overall, so even if there's some small difference in speed I'll go with the Verizon phone.

I'll do some speed testing throughout the day with the Sprint phone and then Verizon and see who comes out on top.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Apparently you aren't the only Sprint customer with that problem. Linky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I'll trade speed for realiability. I've never had a connection issue with Verizon and I travel the lower 48 and Alaska and Hawaii. In fact my BB worked on the drive from Anchorage to Seward and while we were out on a whale watching boat.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.