Microsoft keyboards on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I have an ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft that I use every day, all day with my Windows box. I can't say much about their software, but all of the Microsoft hardware I've owned has been fabulous (no kidding). I'd love to hook it up to my Mac and Microsoft does have OS X drivers for it, but how does it handle key mapping since the keys are different? Does the Windows button become the Command button or can you choose what key does what function? I'm in the process of moving, otherwise I'd try it out myself :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You do not need any drivers for a keyboard in OSX. It will just work. There are quite a few threads about this here, so if you have any other questions, I would suggest searching the forums.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
D3v1L80Y said:
You do not need any drivers for a keyboard in OSX. It will just work. There are quite a few threads about this here, so if you have any other questions, I would suggest searching the forums.

Excellent, thanks for the tip!

J

jn4jenny

I use a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard with my Powerbook all day, every day. Plug it in and it'll work.

You might want to download the freeware DoubleCommand, though, so that you don't get all confused. Before I had Double Command, I was *constantly* pushing Alt when I meant to push Command and vice versa. DoubleCommand will let you re-map the PC keyboard so that the Alt key becomes Command and the Command key becomes Alt, just like on a Mac keyboard. http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
thats true.... "MACS...JUST WORK"

Reaction score
I would download the drivers from microsoft, similar to that DoubleCommand program that jn4jenny mentioned, it re-maps the the alt keys and such.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an ergonomic Microsoft 4000 (not wireless) but I can't find the fn key equivalent to the on in the mac keyboard. (The one on the left to the ctrl key)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 21.5/3.06/2X2GB/500GB/9400M W/Airport Extreme
Does anyone else have experience with the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I have used it on the PC I am abandoning, like it very much (I have carpal tunnel syndrome) and am having a lot of trouble getting used to the keyboard that came with my new iMac. I know Mac drivers exist for it, but I am concerned that the keys retain their PC/Windows symbols. Even though they may be mapped properly, that's going to be disorienting. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.