Pages Templates Query

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have a question.

I want to know how to create and install legitimate templates for Pages. I often ask this question on other forums, but so far, not much help. I did Google this question and again, not much help.

People in trying to help me suggest that any document can be saved as a "template." But those are simply Pages documents, not true templates.

I do not want documents that can be used as templates. Lots of those out there. I want to create templates that show up when I create a new document. I use an iPad.

I have seen the Pages files and for every template in Pages, there is a file or folder filled with all sorts of files.

Is this something that will require the SDK so the templates can be installed? I gather it is not as simple as I am thinking it (should be ) is.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know where you got the idea that a template is something special because it's a "true" template.

The way you create a template is by first creating a document. Then add to it macros, graphics, or any other boilerplate text you wish. After you're satisfied that the document is how you wish your template to look each time you open it, save it as a template.

The same method is used for Pages, Word, PowerPoint, Keynote, whatever. iPad, PC, or Mac, the method of creating a template is the same.

You can of course download free templates that someone else has created. There are numerous Pages and Word templates for free in various places on the net.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't know where you got the idea that a template is something special because it's a "true" template.

The way you create a template is by first creating a document. Then add to it macros, graphics, or any other boilerplate text you wish. After you're satisfied that the document is how you wish your template to look each time you open it, save it as a template.

The same method is used for Pages, Word, PowerPoint, Keynote, whatever. iPad, PC, or Mac, the method of creating a template is the same.

You can of course download free templates that someone else has created. There are numerous Pages and Word templates for free in various places on the net.

A Pages template is different than a Pages document in that when you open the template folder within the Pages app with an unzip utility, you will see lots of folders, one for each basic template shipped with Pages. There are other files as well. A Pages document file is not at all as complex, so there is a difference.

When you unzip the Pages template folder, you will see more than 20 different files and folders that make up each template. So as far as Pages is concerned, a template is far different than a Pages document you modify and reuse as a template.

To be clear, I am talking about Pages for the iPad only. I am well aware of the fact that you can simply edit an existing Pages template or create a new document and just change it as needed. Not what I am looking to do.

As for Word, it considers .dot files much differently than it does .doc files. There is a very complex internal structure in a Word template compared to a Word document. In Word, you can save a doc file as a dot file. This I know.

I want to be able to create Pages templates that will show up when I select "New Document" from the Pages screen. I have looked at some of the "templates" offered my others and they do not install in the Pages Template Directory. You simply open the application, select a document, and open it in Pages.

So my search continues, I suppose.

Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.