Should I get the iPhone 4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.
Hello there,

So I got tied into a 24 month iPhone 3Gs contract two weeks before the iPhone 4 was released (typical) - though I will be getting a mid-term upgrade next April.

I've caught the iPhone 4 fever and I would love one. Is it worth perhaps putting the 3Gs on eBay and buying the iPhone 4 or should I wait until next April when I can upgrade to the iPhone 4 or whatever Apple has released then?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Wait. From what I have heard, the performance gain over the 3G is noticeable, but over the 3GS not so much.

OP
MyBrokeniPhone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.
It's probably worth the wait in that case. I'm a bit skeptical with the signal issues too.

Reaction score
It's probably worth the wait in that case. I'm a bit skeptical with the signal issues too.

Steve was right, the signal issues are a very vocal minority. I have yet to see any issues and I have been traveling constantly the last three weeks.

I was actually in the middle of nowhere in the panhandle of Florida and my 3G couldn't find any signal but the 4 was able to at least get me on the Edge network.

So it seems that the antenna is in fact stronger from my observation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I still own a 3g and don't really see an real reason to upgrade yet. I am eligible but don't really see the need to get a newer iphone when mine pretty much does what i want it to. Perhaps if i wait longer something will be done about all these "issues" or maybe there will be something better out by the time im ready. I guess since i already have an iphone i wasn't sucked in by the hype like i was when i didn't have an iphone hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I just upgraded yesterday from a 3G, and the gain in speed and overall performance is way more than I expected. Everything is faster.

Again though the OP is coming from a 3GS, so less incentive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
no doubt, if you dig your iPhone you'll DIG the 4... i had a 3G for a year, 3G for 5 weeks -and the 4 blows them both out of the water, maybe the 4 is not twice as fast as the 3G it makes with other really neat improvements, 5MP camera, flash, Retina display.. list goes on & on.

(i believe the antenna issue is blown way out of proportion, and here's why; complainers tend to scream louder than satisfied folks :}

ps. to the OP: don't you have a 4 week return period, that's how i exchanged the newly upgraded 3G for a 4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It all depends on what you want out of it. My wife has the iPhone 4 now, while I have the iPhone 3Gs. They key advantages are the much sharper display and a much superior camera. She likes to take pictures, so the upgrade for her was a good move because it's one less device for her to carry. The improved display is a bonus, though not a deal breaker in itself for her. For people who do a lot of reading on their iPhone (books, email, whatever), then the display upgrade probably will be worth it, just for the reduced eyestrain alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It all depends on what you want out of it. My wife has the iPhone 4 now, while I have the iPhone 3Gs. They key advantages are the much sharper display and a much superior camera. She likes to take pictures, so the upgrade for her was a good move because it's one less device for her to carry. The improved display is a bonus, though not a deal breaker in itself for her. For people who do a lot of reading on their iPhone (books, email, whatever), then the display upgrade probably will be worth it, just for the reduced eyestrain alone.

Agreed, Also a lot of it depends on whether or not your a gadget geek? I consider myself one. So I'm always trying to buy the latest and greatest toys. Since I got my 4 I have probably taken well over a 100 pictures. I'm trying to get the most out of my iPhone 4 but if it's just going to be another phone for you, stick with the 3GS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
If you want one, I'd get one. Don't listen to what you hear on the media-- I've had my iPhone 4 for awhile, and have had no reception issues even before I put my case on it. The new design is just stunningly beautiful, as is the Retina display.

I guarantee you'll like all the iPhone 4 features, it's really just a fantastic phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd suggest playing with one before you buy. If I had the opportunity to do so, I would have saved considerable time and effort returning it (2 weeks now and not a word on the status). Be your own judge on the reception issues and take both the satisfied customers' and unsatisfied customers' experiences with a grain of salt. Ultimately, the reception the parts of town you actually spend time in will be a better gauge than someone in another part of the country saying the phone is good or bad. Have fun either way.
Note: I didn't return mine due to reception issues. I returned it due to the proximity sensor. Please test it before you take the phone home! It's embarrassing hanging up on your boss, your wife, etc... several times a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.