New video card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM
I am looking to upgrade my video card in my Power Mac G5 (1.8dp). I currently have the GeForce FX 5200 (64MB), which sits in the AGP slot. Now my question is can I remove that one and use a open PCI-X slot? Also what is a 'full length PCI-X slot'? Any video cards that are recommended?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking to upgrade my video card in my Power Mac G5 (1.8dp). I currently have the GeForce FX 5200 (64MB), which sits in the AGP slot. Now my question is can I remove that one and use a open PCI-X slot? Also what is a 'full length PCI-X slot'? Any video cards that are recommended?

Thanks

In the Powermac G5 2.3ghz dual processor I used to own (with PCI-X, and an 8x AGP slot for the video card)...I had a Radeon 9600 video card (it has 128meg of video ram vs. the 64 meg in the GeForce 5200). That could be a video card upgrade option.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Short answer is yes - you can leave them both in and have dual monitors. Caution - not sure if you can use a PCI-x card in the G5 but the regular PCI card is good to go. The long cards will fit but make sure you get a MAC version. I favour the ATI cards but as pigoo mentioned the GeForce are the new breed. I would pick an older ATI 9200 or 9600 over a newer card. Be careful how much you put into an older Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Caution - not sure if you can use a PCI-x card in the G5 but the regular PCI card is good to go.

Sounds like the OP has a PM G5 dual 1.8ghz computer...with PCI-X slots.

The expansion slots on Powermac G5's can be VERY confusing...since the PM G5 lineup during it's lifetime had 3 different expansion card architecture's (PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-e).

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM
Sounds like the OP has a PM G5 dual 1.8ghz computer...with PCI-X slots.

The expansion slots on Powermac G5's can be VERY confusing...since the PM G5 lineup during it's lifetime had 3 different expansion card architecture's (PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-e).

- Nick

correct it is dual 1.8ghz, I am more or less wondering what slot would be better to look for? I would assume the AGP since it is such an old PCI slot. Don't AGP throughput at 2gb? Also I am working with files that are 1gb or so, fairly graphic/size/resolution heavy; so what would be the best option?

Reaction score
Hello fellow mac users, I am new here and my problem would fit nicely in this thread.

You see, I currently am using the Power Mac G5 using a ATI Radeon 9600 XT. This specific card does not require the use of power cables. I own a nVIDIA GeFORCE 6-Series that I would like to install. The problem I have encountered is that this specific card requires TWO 4-pin power supply slots.

Now.. the power cables inside of the G5 are not 4-pin, which makes it difficult for me to install this card. How am I supposed to install this card? If I did manage to do this, would my power supply be able to support this card?

I am also looking to purchase a new video card and want to make the installation as simple as possible, but still have it be an upgrade from the GeFORCE 6-series. Would anybody happen to know any good quality video cards that do not require a power supply? My budget is at $300.

I had one video card in mind to purchase, but it requires a power supply that I don't think I could provide.
The video card is:

SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

Picture1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.