Preserving Battery Longevity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
As soon as I got word that the iPod Classic was discontinued some time ago, I immediately went out and bought another for backup in case my current one dies. Now that I've completely charged it and loaded my music library onto it, what is the best way to keep it stored in order to maximize battery longevity? I've heard to store it 1/2 charged is best, but eventually it will sap down to being completely dead again, right?

Not sure if this info is pertinent, but I'm referring to the 160GB iPod Classic.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The battery in the iPod Classic is most likely a lithium ion or some variant of it and will retain it's charge pretty well. It will however lose its charge over time and if left for an extended period of time, it will be dead. However, the music will be on there no problem, so I wouldn't sweat it..

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
The battery in the iPod Classic is most likely a lithium ion or some variant of it and will retain it's charge pretty well. It will however lose its charge over time and if left for an extended period of time, it will be dead. However, the music will be on there no problem, so I wouldn't sweat it..

I learned my lesson on backing up my info, so I've got my music library backed up in triplicate now. My concern is not losing my music, it's trying to keep this new spare Classic as close to brand new as possible. I'm concerned that now that I've cycled the battery once, leaving it stored for extended periods will adversely affect the overall battery life. I'm wondering if someone can tell me the best way to maintain it. Thanks

One problem: the iPod Classic hasn't been discontinued.

Well...I am pleasantly surprised! I remember taking part in a discussion here about the discontinuation of the Classic a while back. Maybe the cries of those of us who love the Classic were heard! Whatever the case, my original question remains.

C

chas_m

Assuming the battery technology in the iPod Classic is similar to that used in regular rechargeable batteries, 1/2 capacity is the recommended way to store them for prolonged periods. They will eventually run down to nothing, and may not respond immediately to charging, but if left alone will charge back up to 100 percent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
From the Apple site:

Long-Term Storage
If you don’t plan on using your iPod touch for more than three weeks, Apple recommends that you store it with the battery charged between 50%-75% and the device completely turned off, not just put to sleep. If you store it when the battery is fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your device at the proper temperature.

What I understand from the above is that you should check it periodically to ensure it doesn't get totally discharged. When ready for a re-charge, adding a full charge-discharge and re-charge to 50-75% probably wouldn't hurt.

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes sense...and I guess checking the Apple site for their own suggestions would have been a good idea, lol. Thanks Checco :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.