i think kernal panic got ahold of my mini? help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ok, so i do a clean install of my 1.42PPC mini, as i gave it to my gf. i restart after the first line of security updates are done, all is well. then it boots up, get that nice mac chim, the wheel starts spinnin under the mac logo and wam...

"please restart your computer bla bla bla"

nothing... *** is going on here? i havent installed any hardware on the thing, its been running fun all week, etc. ive restarted 50 times and the same thing everytime....

i tried to boot holding C, nothing. i cant boot using the install discs, it wont let me do anything except target mode, which theres nothing on this i wanted to save, as i was doing the clean install for the 'ol ball and chain.

can somebody help me? i really dont want to take this thing into apple and get bent over by a service guy. thanks.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Can you boot into the 'startup manager' by holding the option key? If so, reformat/reinstall and try again. But, you say you can boot into target mode which is good, do you have a second computer we can use? KP's are caused by damaged software or hardware.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, i have my macbook ill take over to my gf's house to try and get this problem corrected. i will try to boot in startup manager.

what are the different ways i can boot?
hold "C" - cd
hold "t" - target mode
hold "option"- start up manager

what other options do i have? thanks.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, update... i dont know what happened. i continually tried rebooting in different modes, etc with no luck. finally i rebooted, didnt try anything and it booted in safe mode. no idea... so i went in, popped in the install disc, and its reinstalling OSX with no issues as of yet.

ill update once its done, and im gonna be taking the updates reallllllll slow like one at a time, since that seems like it was the issue, doing 50 at a time.

M

MacHeadCase

Pop in that Mini of yours the install DVD and run the Hardware Test. This is an Intel-based Mini? Just hold down the D key during the startup process. Choose to run the test in Extended Mode. (If it's a PowerPC Mini, just hold down the C key during startup).

This could be bad RAM or maybe another hardware component.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.