• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do your friends give you grief for switching to Mac?

Reaction score
This is just a fun one. I've been a Windows business application developer for over 25 years. A little over a year ago I made the switch to a 27" iMac, and I'm now working my way into being a Mac-based web developer (no fun programming in Windows anymore :( ).

I LOVE my iMac. So much so that I'm now the proud owner of a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro. I used to be very anti-Apple, but now am seeing benefits even in the things I slammed Macs for before. I am so much more productive now, and I love working on the Mac. It's fun again. It hardly feels like "work", anymore. :D

However, I'm now the only "outsider" in a huge herd of Windows programmers. You would not believe the harassment I take. I try to explain why the Mac is so good, but nobody listens. I have to think that I was like that at one time. I think you actually have to USE a Mac before you "get it". That's what got me.

Anyways, just wondering if I'm the only that takes harassment for the switch, or if there are others that get harassed by the Windows crowd.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It used to be just the opposite back in the days when I started working for the US government as a computer repair tech on main frames and then later mini systems. The few techs and programmers I knew that owned Macs were constantly bragging how great they were and how bad the IBM machines were. That's when the name "fan boy" got started (this was in the 80s).

How times have changed! ;)

(By the way, this doesn't belong in Switcher... moved to the Lounge.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My friends wouldn't think of it.

Especially, since I'm the one they call on to "fix" their Windows machines. ;)
Although, not doing nearly as much of that as I use to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You would not believe the harassment I take. I try to explain why the Mac is so good, but nobody listens. I have to think that I was like that at one time. I think you actually have to USE a Mac before you "get it". That's what got me.

And this is so very true. You will be amazed at the amount of members we get here that say they have recently moved to Mac for one reason or another, and how they now understand the statement a lot of people use "Once you go Mac, you will never go back".
Actually, its every new Mac user that says that.
For me, it the OS that i find a joy to use, and im just blessed to get such a nice looking piece of hardware to wrap around it. Its amazing what a company can do when they make both the OS and Device, because it does just work.
IMHO there will never be a true Android device as no-one makes the device for the OS, but Samsung are coming very close of gelling the 2 together, but im happy with my iPhone 5 and iOS 7β as  have made a perfect Phone for their OS OR have they made the perfect OS for the Phone ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyways, just wondering if I'm the only that takes harassment for the switch, or if there are others that get harassed by the Windows crowd.

We get this sort of thread every now & then.

For what's it worth...whether someone is a "switcher" or not (always a Mac User). Because there are roughly 9+ Windows users to every 1 Mac User (this ratio was MUCH worse in the 80's and 90's)...Windows users have been giving Mac Users a hard time since 1984...when the Mac was first introduced.

If someone likes "following the crowd"...then using a Mac is not for that person!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I started w/ an Apple II+ in 1980 - kept for a half dozen years & loved - then switched to PCs (work need) - after 30+ years and in the spring of this year (after retirement) transitioned back to Apple (rMBP & iMac; already had iPads/iPod) - I could not be happier for many reasons. For those who have only had a PC experience, I'd refer them to the painting below by one of my favorite painters, Pieter Bruegel - the point is obvious - Dave :)

bruegel_blinden_grt.jpg

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
We get this sort of thread every now & then.

For what's it worth...whether someone is a "switcher" or not (always a Mac User). Because there are roughly 9+ Windows users to every 1 Mac User (this ratio was MUCH worse in the 80's and 90's)...Windows users have been giving Mac Users a hard time since 1984...when the Mac was first introduced.

If someone likes "following the crowd"...then using a Mac is not for that person!;)

- Nick

I caught one friend off guard a few days ago. He gets very annimated when expressing the "stupidity of owning a Mac". Comments like "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap pc can do everything you need?" I asked him why he drives a brand new BMW. "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap Chevette can do everything you need?" There was no comment...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I caught one friend off guard a few days ago. He gets very annimated when expressing the "stupidity of owning a Mac". Comments like "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap pc can do everything you need?" I asked him why he drives a brand new BMW. "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap Chevette can do everything you need?" There was no comment...

OUCH...that was a great comeback!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It used to be just the opposite back in the days when I started working for the US government as a computer repair tech on main frames and then later mini systems. The few techs and programmers I knew that owned Macs were constantly bragging how great they were and how bad the IBM machines were. That's when the name "fan boy" got started (this was in the 80s).

How times have changed! ;)

No kidding. I never cared for the Classic Mac OS back in the day, but had nothing against it. What did put me off were the occasional but highly obnoxious Mac enthusiasts I'd run into online here and there.

No one gives me grief about switching to a Mac, though I haven't really converted anyone. Of course, I haven't actually tried, but I give the plusses and minuses if anyone asks. There's definitely a growing interest, and there really is a halo effect from the iPhone pushing that interest.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Users in 2013 have no idea how good they have it (old guy speaking here);)...even if in 2013 they still get some abuse from Windows users.

Mac Users in the 1980's were really really really in the minority in the computing world. And purchasing software, hardware, getting repairs, or just general help with a problem...was very very difficult due to so few Mac-Users and of course...no internet.

How did it feel to be the average Mac-User back in the 1980's?? Imagine being marooned on a desert island with case after case after case of canned foods...and not having a can-opener!;)

- Nick

p.s. This is why Mac-User groups were so necessary/important back then. But this usually only worked if you were located in big cities. If you were in a smaller city or in a rural area...forgetaboutit!;)

M

MacInWin

I was in the S/100 bus camp when the PC came out. I railed against the stupidity of the IBM PC and the bus architecture it had as a step backwards. But in those days IBM had clout in the commercial market and won by the law of mass tonnage (They sold a crap-ton of PCs, outweighing the superior technology of S-100.)

For similar reasons, the Apple/IBM schism began. IBM chose the Z-80 chipset from Intel, Apple used the Motorola 68000 series. With the law of mass tonnage also applying to the Apple line as well as the S-100 line, Intel won out. And Microsoft beat CP/M and the Apple OS for the same reason.

Small communities remained of both, but S-100 and CP/M didn't have "fanboys" to keep them alive. Fortunately for Apple, it found a niche in graphics (which Intel didn't do well) and schools. The "fanboy" culture kept it going long enough to figure out where to survive.

I personally think the best move Apple did was to the Intel chipset. That move made it possible to have a reasonable virtual machine environment, or to run Windows natively. Switchers didn't have to go "cold turkey" to move to Apple. I suspect today most switchers move to the Mac world, then keep their "favorite" or "critical" application from Windows going in either BootCamp or a VM Windows box until they are more fully weaned away from that environment. I know that in my case it took a year or so for me to let go of that last application. Today I do have a Parallels Window machine for an antique piece of software that requires XP, never had a Mac version and won't run in any other Window version. It is, unfortunately, paired with a piece of hardware that my wife needs for her business, so It remains as the last vestige until she tells me it can die.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's definitely a growing interest, and there really is a halo effect from the iPhone pushing that interest.

You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Many of our friends that own iPhones, iPad, or iPod, (and a PC) have commented that their next computer purchase is going to be a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Many of our friends that own iPhones, iPad, or iPod, (and a PC) have commented that their next computer purchase is going to be a Mac.

This just happened with a friend of mine in another state. She switched to iPhone about 6 months ago. And then when her Dell laptop broke 2 weeks ago, she went to the Apple store and picked up a 13" MBP. Her first Mac ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use to ridicule mac owners for purchasing a very expensive machine when a PC could do the same thing for a lot less.

Well, now I am a new first time Mac owner.

Most people see the cost of a PC is much lower than a Mac and are willing to put up with a flaky, sloppy OS, malware attacks, and installation of software taking longer.

A couple of months ago I needed to replace an old laptop that I use to capture video from live events. I discovered PC laptops no longer have firewire ports and usb adapters do not work with Premiere. Since portability is essential desktops were out. The only laptop offering a firewire solution is the macbook pro. You have no idea how I agonized over purchasing my mac. Months of research and reading...and saving up. This forum was a huge help. I finally purchased an early 2011, 15" with 16GB, 2.3 i7, 1Tb hard drive.

I was blown away. Not only does it capture flawlessly but Premiere Pro runs smoother. I had messed with Linux before and knew enough about OS X to pass my A+ certification (I work as an IT ) but I never realized how well a Mac ran. It is just smooth, quick, and clean. And the touchpad is fabulous!

Now at work I wish we had Macs. I have gotten several of them on iPads - baby steps!

-Lisa

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Part of the issue with pc/windows users, I believe, is that the only thing they have to compare to is a pc. Thus, a computer must have a massive power supply, many fans and heat syncs. It must be in a large rectangular box and should make lots of noise. It must be fully "upgradeable".

I laugh because that's the way I was. I ended up talking to a really knowledgeable Apple rep, and realized that there is a whole new dimension if you "let go" of some of your pre-conceived notions. My iMac does not need a massive power supply because it is very efficient and doesn't need 1200 watts to operate. It doesn't need five 8 inch fans in the case because the whole case acts as a heat sync and heat rises out the top. How many people thought of a "round" computer until the new Mac Pro was announced? Upgradeable? For 27 years I only bought or built "upgradeable" PC's, yet never once did I upgrade one, other than to maybe bump up the RAM. Nobody upgrades in the pc world. There's always a new board with a new chipset that only takes a new format of RAM or expansion card or cpu. I found most PCs to be obsolete after 3 years and pretty much throwaway after 5 years.

It just seems that all of the arguments I hear are based solely on the idea that the existing PC is already perfect, thus everything should be compared to it. Expensive? Maybe if all you look at is the retail price tag. Maybe if your time isn't worth anything and you enjoy stress. I have two PCs (one of which is getting donated to charity and getting replaced by a Mac Pro), an older Mac Mini, and a 27" iMac I7. The ancient Mac Mini is more stable that the 2 Windows PCs. I spend literally hours fighting with the two Windows machines. One software clashes with another. One day a pc won't boot up. BSOD after BSOD. Well, you guys know how it works. I got fed up with one of them, formatted it, re-installed windows from scratch. Then installed Acronis so I could do backups. After that, pc would never boot up. After 8 hours of Googling, restarting, trying this and that, I finally got it into safe mode and got Acronis off of it. However, now, every time I right-click in Windows explorer, it crashes. Hours and hours and hours wasted mucking around with these things.

Then I sit down at my iMac with two glorious 27" displays, SSD, 24 TB in RAID 5 boxes that retrieve data faster than raided SSD's. Hardly any noise, whatsoever (biggest pc sounds like a helicopter taking off). Everything I do on the iMac is enjoyable. Even work. No time is spent scratching your head and trying to figure out what driver goes with what, what tweak to make so that my app doesn't crash, why my printer won't print anymore, whether to re-install Windows and spend 3 days re-installing all software because it's getting too slow to be useable. It's acting weird... wonder if I have a virus... Anyways, I could go on and on, but we all know how much fun a Mac is. The whole experience is just more enjoyable. Everything just works. Everything just looks good. It's fun.

So, I've invested close to $10,000 in my iMac. Compared to the $2000 mega pc I previously built, the Mac is a bargain. I've saved 4 times that amount in hours that haven't been wasted trying to get it working. I've added clients and new lines of business, because I have more time and have the tools to do more. I've actually sold customers on an idea just because they looked so impressive when displayed on my Mac. Mac's aren't expensive. You recover the cost in no time.

I'm not really anti-Windows... well, maybe anti-Windows 8... I have 2 PC's at home and I have to work on one at a client's site. To me, a pc is like a 1997 Pinto. It will get you there and doesn't cost much up front, but a 2013 Mercedes is a lot more enjoyable.

I guess I'm likely preaching to the choir, so should probably stop ranting now :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Many of us use both Windows and Apple machines. If your friends are that bad time for new friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Actually, after the initial shock wore off (no one believed I'd ever go to the "Darkside!"), I got more teasing at work for buying my MBP. But after they all started getting and using their iPads, plus seeing how I love my mbp, I have been getting hit with the "When will I be getting my PC replaced with a Mac" questions. I tell them to ask the big boss and when I get the okay I will order it! Won't happen soon, not in the budget but we shall see in the future.

There is a learning curve when switching from a PC to a Mac. I tend to pick up things fast but that is NOT true of some of my co-workers. Sometimes what they ask me to fix or mess up makes me just shake my head. So I kinda cringe when I think of their learning curve but then I remember ... job security.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Back in the day (late 80s early 90s) it was not uncommon for the salespeople at computer shops to push PCs even if the store also sold Macs. My wife encountered this when she purchased an LC II. The salesperson told her that PCs did as good a job with basic page layouts as Macs. At this time that was untrue.

After asking a few questions I quickly realized that this person was either uninformed, misinformed, or being less than truthful about many features of the Mac. I don't just mean questions about which Mac/PC was better for what task, I mean basic facts such as expansion options for one Mac verses another. He never bothered to say I don't know but left the impression that it couldn't be done.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Many of us use both Windows and Apple machines. If your friends are that bad time for new friends.

I don't know if you noticed, but I didn't actually refer to them as "friends"... just "other Windows programmers" ;D My best friend switched to a Mac a week after he saw mine in action.

M

MacInWin

Anecdote: My wife had a Windows laptop for fundamental stuff (email, surfing, Word, etc), but it was dying. I had gotten my iMac earlier and loved it so I took her to the Apple store. A blue shirted young man came up to me and asked what we wanted. I said we wanted to look at the MacBook (white) but then I pointed to her and said it was whatever she wanted.. She looked at the white MacBook, but then saw the aluminum MBP on another table. The blue shirt saw her look and asked what she wanted. Her answer was "Something fast." We took home a 13" MBP (aluminum) and she's never looked back. She now has a Mac Mini for her business, an iPhone and and iPad to go with the MBP. And she loves them all! And I never had to "sell" her on any of it. The product sells itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.