Will an US iPhone work in the UK

Reaction score
Hi, I live in the uk and currently use 3 network I would love an iPhone but am appalled at the prices of iPhones in this country I mistakenly went on to the American version of the apple store and found iPhones were considerably less in America, if I were to buy an unlocked American 3GS would it work with my 3 sim card in the u.k and what extra costs would I have to pay on top of the phone. I heard jailbreaking would be a safe(?????) way to unlock a phone. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No reason why not, as long as the sim slots are the same, pretty sure they are.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, I live in the uk and currently use 3 network I would love an iPhone but am appalled at the prices of iPhones in this country I mistakenly went on to the American version of the apple store and found iPhones were considerably less in America, if I were to buy an unlocked American 3GS would it work with my 3 sim card in the u.k and what extra costs would I have to pay on top of the phone. I heard jailbreaking would be a safe(?????) way to unlock a phone. Please help!

No need to unlock it if you buy the unlocked version in the US. Just make sure you're getting the AT&T version and not the Verizon one (which doesn't have SIM slot).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Have a feeling here that an ordinary unlocked iPhone will not work on the 3 network; I've seen a lot of warnings around but can't remember where. It's 3 that's the problem here, so it doesn't matter where you get the phone from.

Cheers :)

Hugh

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can someone tell me me how much a us iPhone costs from three please?

There is no carrier known as "3" operating in the US. If you want to buy an unlocked iPhone, it will run you $649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really your only option if you want to stay on the 3 network is to buy a 2nd hand iPhone in the UK that is advertised as being locked to 3.
Or go to 3 and get a contract iPhone.

Hugh

Reaction score
Yes and no. If you are talking about purchasing a US iPhone for use with a UK provider it's not a good idea since they run on sometimes different network protocols. If you are asking about taking a trip to the UK and using your US iPhone, yes it will work but I highly suggest calling your provider and finding out all the associated charges with using the phone overseas. For example, AT&T charges quite a bit of money for it to work. I took a trip a few years ago and paid almost $300 to use my iPhone for a few weeks.

Reaction score
shifting network

I also bought a phone from UK having vodafone network but i am now shifting to india can i now use the service of vodafone india shiftong my network from vodafone UK to vodafone india

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On that I would definitely phone Vodafone UK and ask them.
If you're going abroad and the iPhone is not compatible with Vodafone India they may unlock it for free.

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.