Connecting Mac g5 to existing wireless network using Airport Express

Reaction score
Hi ... have been lucky to be given a g5 2004 which I understand does not have an airport card. Went to PC World yesterday and was sold Airport Express as a means of connecting. However before proceeding have been doing some research and it would appear that I need an airport card in order to connect. Is this correct or is there another way around the problem? All other computers in the house are PC's ...

First Mac we have had so any help anyone can give would be great. Am reasonable it literate so if there are ways around having an airport card ...

Anyway ... in anticipation ... thanks :Smirk:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you would need an airport card to use the express.
No, there are no ways around the requirement of having a wireless card in your computer in order to connect to a wireless network.

I'd take the express back and buy yourself an ethernet cable for connecting to the G5 to the router you already have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.