What additional hard drive and how?

M

mdepaladella

Hi,

I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 867 with a 60GB Hard drive and I need to install an additional Hard Drive. Basically, I only use the Mac for video editing.

Any recommendation on a hard drive (100 or 120GB)?

And is there any guide somewhere on a simple step-by-step installation?

Cheers,

OP
B

Badger

You can get an Apple service manual in PDF from the site at http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html. It has a step-by-step, illustraited section about removing and replacing the hard drive. It also includes adding a second (or third) drive.

I'll let someone else recommend specific drives or models. I don't have any experience in video work so I can't tell what drives would be suitable.

Badger

OP
R

RobDreugan

if you had the money I'd get the biggest drive u could afford, 250gigs +

It's a very simple installation, but ya definitely take a look at the manual, or additional resources online.

To install a hard drive, there's really just 2 cables, your data cable and power cable. I haven't even looked to see how it works in my G5, but i know there's at least a datacable dangling down ready to be plugged into a new drive. (I'm sure the power cable isn't that far away from it either..)

As far as brand, I'd recommend western digital hands down. Find out the seek time on the drive, and the lower it is the better, 6 - 8ms seek time is pretty nice. They also have very good warranties and good customer service. I've used those drives for probably 10 years, with 1 drive going bad, which was replaced and upgraded to a new drive within 5 days.

Love em.

OP
W

Wapa18

RobDreugan said:
if you had the money I'd get the biggest drive u could afford, 250gigs +

if you're gonna get anything bigger than 120 GB in your particular power mac, you're gonna have to get an ATA/133 pci card, because the ATA/100 bus in your mac won't recognize anything over 128 GB.

OP
C

Chamorro

I can't say for sure if the ATA/100 ceiling is 128GB, since that's the ATA/66 ceiling.

Anyway, do some research on your ATA bus and the largest HD that can be fully recognized. Then go out and get that size HD, w/ a minimum of 8mb cache. In addition to Western Digital, I'd tell you to compare Seagate, Quantum, IBM/Hitachi (new ones).

OP
R

RobDreugan

Personally, I wouldn't touch an IDE Seagate if you paid me. In the past they had been notoriously awful. Quantum is slightly better, but IBM does make a pretty sweet drive.

WD 4 lif3.

And ya I wasn't even thinking about yer ata100 ceiling. Sorry If I got yer hopes up with a 250 gig drive.

OP
C

Chamorro

Just to clarify: I've got a Western Digital and love it. I just wanted to offer some options :p :)

OP
L

LFFG

SCSI or ATA

My question would be ... do you go SCSI or ATA?

If you are editing video the rule used to be you had to go SCSI to assure the high data rates. Is that still true?
Considering how much cheaper ATA drives are ... is there any reason to go with additional SCSI drives instead of adding an ATA?

LFFG

UPDATE 3-19-04:
Just FYI - I bought a 120gig ATA100 drive yesterday from www.thenerds.net
Specifically it is a Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition - mfg part # (wd1200jb)
If there is any problem with this choice I will update this post.

OP
C

Chamorro

LFFG said:
My question would be ... do you go SCSI or ATA?

If you are editing video the rule used to be you had to go SCSI to assure the high data rates. Is that still true?
Considering how much cheaper ATA drives are ... is there any reason to go with additional SCSI drives instead of adding an ATA?

LFFG

ATA...just like the reply in your other post! :p :D

OP
R

RobDreugan

There's no real reason to go scsi versus IDE..not any more.

Unless yer running a business that really needs it, you'd go raid...and you'd know if you needed a raid array. Get an IDE WD drive, and be happy lol.

Seriously, you've put too much thought into it already. Everyone's pretty much in agreement. =P

OP
M

mdepaladella

What about an external drive?

Chamorro said:
ATA...just like the reply in your other post! :p :D

What about an external drive? No one seems to suggest it and I was actually moving in that direction.

Anyone with experince with a 7200rpm LaCie external drive?

There are 160GB, 250GB and 500GB!! But again, with a firewire connection... I would like to get impressions from users.

Cheers.

OP
C

Chamorro

mdepaladella said:
What about an external drive? No one seems to suggest it and I was actually moving in that direction.

There are 160GB, 250GB and 500GB!! But again, with a firewire connection... I would like to get impressions from users.

Cheers.

Most of those are just ATA drives in an external enclosure. I didn't have any prob's going that route (copying old HD to new HD)...sufficient speed. Just make sure you have an Oxford 911 chipset if you're using FireWire 400. Also, if you use Panther ask around and make sure that other Panther/FireWire HD users report no more issues.

OP
L

LFFG

mdepaladella said:

Cheers.

On the subject of hard drive SIZEI would just like to take this moment to point out that eventually, ALL hard drives will fail.

If you find yourself being lured towards a 500GB drive for "long term storage" ... I hope you have a good back-up plan.

That's all I have to say about that.

F. Gump ;)

OP
S

Steve1

I have 2 external HD's attached (Western Digital 80 GB). One for all my music. One for photos and data backup. I just bought a USB 2 Hub. Plugged them both in. Works fine -and they are portable. The MusicDrive is great for parties.

OP
S

Steve1

external HD

I have 2 external HD's attached (Western Digital 80 GB). One for all my music. One for photos and data backup. I just bought a USB 2 Hub. Plugged them both in. Works fine -and they are portable. The MusicDrive is great for parties.

Reaction score
Installing 3rd and 4th HD's

I need to know how?? would they be secondary master and secondary slave, if so where do i out the pins in theback of the HD?? Thos little things that block the connectors, thanks for your help everyone!!

Here is my email thank you!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.