problems starting up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 running OS10.4.?
Need help with getting my iBook G4 to start correctly.
The problem: I hit start and it goes to Apple screen then starts the rotating circle icon. Then it keeps spinning indefinitely. It doesn't make any odd noises, and there is never a question mark on the screen.

Things I've done to diagnose or fix it: 1.I've tried to start in safe mode by pressing shift after I hear the startup chime, no luck, it just keeps spinning.
2. I've started it using the Control+S during startup. That worked, and after typing "/sbin/fsck -fy" it says the "volume HD appears to be ok".
3. I've attached a firewire to my eMac (running OS 10.3.9) and started the iBook in target mode and that worked. I successfully transferred important files.

Where I'm at now: I just want the machine to run again, so re-installing my OS seems the proper course of action. I just don't know how to re-install it in Target mode.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This iBook did have an airport card in it when it started doing this, so I removed it to use in my eMac. I dont know if that has anything to do with it though. Thanks!

Reaction score
Sounds like your Startup Volume on your Hard Drive. You need to insert the 10.3.9 startup disk. If you don't have it simply make an appointment at the Genius Bar at any Apple Store. They will fix it for free but may need reinstalling!! I had the same issue. Also get Onyx and Hazel they keep the comp. running smooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
uummm... not so sure that taking it to a Genius Bar and getting it fixed for free will work..

But then again have not taken a system to them that is so far out of service..

Have you done any updates recently? was your iBook running 10.3 Panther or have you
Upgraded it?

I know security updates will cause the first couple of reboots stick on the spinning
circle for a veryyyyyyy long time .. have you just left it for a while to see if it will move?

otherwise yes a re-install may be in order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.